XVIII: The Maze

A cacophony of noises thumped over Lisa's head from the stands above

A cacophony of noises thumped over Lisa's head from the stands above. It was easy to get lost in it all, especially since Lisa was getting better at filtering out specific sounds with her super hearing.

When she closed her eyes, she could hear each instrument in the school band—the trumpet was a little flat—and the war cries for each of the champions—Kyungsoo was dutifully alternating between chants for Lisa and Jongin—and the sound of a student munching happily on some cockroach clusters—which reminded her, she was kind of hungry.

A hand settled on her shoulder and Lisa opened her eyes, bringing herself back into the room. Which wasn't really a room as much as it was the space beneath the stands, with a sloping ceiling that dropped the occasional sprinkling of dust from footsteps overhead.

Lisa's face lit up when a snack bar appeared in front of it.

"You're probably hungry," Jisoo said.

"How'd you know?" Lisa ripped open the wrapper and bit into it with enthusiasm.

"I'm your sister. That, and you're always hungry."

Jisoo glanced up over her shoulder to see Hye-jin and Hyun-bin standing together, like she wanted to know if she was doing a good job. They beamed back at their two girls, and Jisoo seemed to relax a little when Hyun-bin put an arm around her.

The space was small, just enough for the three champions to have their own semi-private area with their loved ones. Jongin was off to one side, flanked by a broad-shouldered man sporting an impressive moustache who rubbed his shoulders and kept telling his son how proud he was, and an elegant, slender woman, who was a little more reserved but her pride shone through just as strongly.

Lisa felt a dull ache watching them, wondering how her own parents might have acted if they could be here. She imagined her mother braiding her hair and pinning it back, her father reminding her to make sure she kept her wrist strong when casting a spell.

With a slight shake of her head, Lisa glanced down at the snack bar instead. It was chocolate chip, peanut butter and marshmallow—it was her favourite, and it was perfect. Hye-jin sat her down in front of the mirror and gathered her hair back into a low bun. It wasn't half as intricate as the braids her mother used to weave into her hair, but it would keep her hair out of her face just as well.

"I'm really happy you guys could be here," Lisa said, looking at Hye-jin in the mirror.

"We wouldn't miss it, sweetheart."

"Hye-jin was going crazy after not seeing you two over Christmas break," Hyun-bin grinned, ducking his head to avoid the glare Hye-jin shot back at him.

On the other side of the room sat Hanbin and Jennie, both looking serious and stiff in stark contrast to the rest of them. They stood close together, shoulder to shoulder, Hanbin gripping his wand tightly while Jennie rubbed the back of his palm with her thumb.