XIII: The Golden Boy

Hanbin's fever didn't break for six days

Madame Dara tried every potion in her store cabinet, but his temperature refused to come down. The healer's diagnosis was that he was overworked and under-rested, and it probably wouldn't hurt for him to eat some vegetables. Rest, relaxation, and time were prescribed for his recovery.

Jennie was at his bedside whenever she had a spare moment. Between classes, before mealtimes, and every evening right up until visiting hours were over. She'd bring her homework, or sometimes she would just sit by him, looking him over with her hand tentatively slipped into his.

As Hanbin gradually healed, so did their relationship. Slowly, tentatively. Lisa was happy for Jennie, she really was, but still. She wasn't ready to speak to him. When she thought of Hanbin, she thought of the boy who had put her under the full body bind curse in a store closet, the boy who spat venomous words at her and her friend's in a drunken haze, the boy who thought she wasn't good enough for his sister. She didn't know the caring version of Hanbin Jennie spoke about, so she kept her distance. Let Jennie navigate how she was going to rebuild a relationship with him as she saw best.

When Hanbin was properly awake, Jennie and Hanbin played chess together, and Jennie would coax him into eating hearty soups with plenty of vegetables.

"Honestly, he's worse than you, Lisa," Jennie commiserated one night at dinner.

"I guess our mutual dislike of healthy food is one thing we have in common," Lisa mused as she dug into an overflowing bowl of spaghetti. "Is he doing any better?"

Jennie sighed wearily, rubbing at her eye. Worrying about Hanbin was exhausting her, and it was starting to show.

"His temperature is still high, but he's awake more and eating, so...that's a good sign," Jennie said with a smile that flitted and faded, like it took too much energy to maintain. "I can't help but feel like this is my fault. He's been getting worse since I pushed him away, and I saw it happening, but I didn't do anything. Defying Ye-ji like he did at the lake...that's not something I thought he would ever do, but he did it for me. I think that's what pushed him over the edge."

"Hey." Lisa put her fork down so she could find Jennie's hand under the table and interlock their fingers. "Don't do that. Don't blame yourself for putting your needs first. You're here for him now, and he will get better. That's what matters, okay?"

Jennie sagged a little, allowing herself to lean into Lisa's side. "Okay. You're right, I just...old habits, I suppose."

Lisa smiled with affection and gave Jennie's hand a squeeze. Lisa looked Jennie over, taking in the slouch in her spine, the wisps of hair flying free from her ponytail, the way she rubbed at her temples where Lisa knew a headache was burrowing its way into her brain. "Jennie, don't take this the wrong way, but you look terrible."

Jennie ducked her head, eyes widening. "Sorry," she mumbled.

"Hey, I didn't mean it like that," Lisa apologized quickly and tucked a piece of Jennie's hair behind her ear. "I'm worried about you, is all."