X: The Yule Ball

It was Lisa's first Christmas at Hogwarts

It was Lisa's first Christmas at Hogwarts. Every year before, Christmas had meant packing up and shipping back to the Manoban family home, where she spent the holiday with Jisoo, Hyun-bin, Ye-jin, Ten—when he could get time off work—and Taeyeon often made an appearance too.

Lisa loved Christmas.

Buriram didn't celebrate Christmas, so when she came downstairs during her first December with the Manoban, Lisa had been incredibly confused to find a giant fir tree standing in the middle of the living room.

"Jisoo," she'd whispered, shaking her sister awake.

Jisoo groaned, and blinked her eyes open after another of Lisa's insistent prods. "What? Did you have a nightmare?" she asked, rubbing sleep from concerned eyes.

Lisa shook her head, fingertips pressed together. "I think Hyun-bin's gone crazy. There's...there's a tree in the living room." Jisoo's puzzled expression gave way to warm laughter, and she pulled Lisa into her bed to tell her all about the holiday.

Lisa instantly fell in love with everything about Christmas: the decorations, the presents, the food...everything was so bright and cheerful, which was exactly what she needed when her world was anything but.

So this year, waking up in her tinsel and holly-embellished bunk in the Hufflepuff dormitory on Christmas morning was a new experience. She was, of course, sad to be missing out on seeing Ye-jin and Hyun-bin, but she was also incredibly excited to be spending her first Christmas at Hogwarts with her friends, who were really more like family now too.

Christmas morning was spent in the Gryffindor common room, Lisa wearing her dressing gown and Niffler slippers, exchanging gifts and laughter with her friends. By the end of the morning, Lisa had acquired a new pair of quidditch goggles from Jisoo, a pair of socks with cartoon dragons printed on them from Rosé ("much less terrifying than the real thing"), and about a years' worth of sweets from Jackson and Kyungsoo. Hyun-bin and Ye-jin had also sent Christmas cards and matching leather-bound journals for her and Jisoo.

Jennie met up with them after breakfast, as she had been forced to spend the morning with her brother and mother.

"How was it?" Lisa asked when Jennie joined them in the Great Hall. Her hair was loose from its usual ponytail or bun, and her Beauxbatons uniform had been traded for a pair of jeans and a huge woolly cardigan.

Jennie sighed as she sank into the seat next to Lisa, and helped herself to a pumpkin pasty from Lisa's stack. "It was...quiet. Mother barely said a word. Which was, actually, a bit of an improvement on how she usually is," she hummed thoughtfully as she picked at the pastry with her fingers.

"Hey, Jennie!" Kyungsoo exclaimed, sliding into the seat opposite them. "Check out my new chess set." He lugged a wooden case onto the table, rattling plates and glasses as he thunked it down.

Jennie's eyes grew large as he began unpacking the handsome chess set. "No way," she breathed reverently, "Is this the ChessMaster 2000 deluxe edition?"