XII: The Second Task

Lisa blinked down at the substance Rosé had palmed into her hand. It was slimy, stringy, and gross-looking.

"What is this?"

"Gillyweed," Rosé answered.

"And I'm supposed to do what with it?"

"Put it in your mouth."

"And...eat it?"

"Yup. Right down the hatchet."

"Great."

Lisa's stomach was churning enough already, with less than an hour before the task was due to begin and Jisoo and Rosé coming through with their 'leave it to us' idea at pretty much the last minute. The slippery, green plant currently moistening her hand didn't exactly help the nausea.

"What does it do?"

"Well, it's supposed to let you breathe underwater. You'll sprout gills, your feet will go all webby, the whole deal."

"Huh." Lisa squelched the plant in her palm. "Cool."

"According to Jisoo, it should let you breathe underwater for an hour."

"Wait, what do you mean, should?"

Rosé chuckled skittishly and scratched at her head. "Well, Jisoo says there's debate amongst herbologists about the effects of saltwater versus fresh..."

"Great. Let's hope we don't find out when I'm at the bottom of the lake," Lisa muttered.

"That's the spirit."

Lisa sighed, pulling her dressing gown closer around her to fend off a breeze. They were standing on the gravelly shore, just near a fleet of rowboats ready and set to carry them across to stands that floated out in the middle of the lake. Groups of students pottered into the boats, which glided across the glassy, black surface of the water once they were full.

Lisa swallowed as she stared out across the lake. She thought of all the times she had nagged Jisoo about wanting to go for a swim during the summer, when the muggy heat made her robes cling to sweat-soaked skin. Right now, the water reflected the dreary clouds above, heavy with almost-rain. Diving into the lake was a thoroughly uninviting prospect, especially considering whatever might be lurking beneath the surface.

"Where is Jisoo? She should be here," Lisa said, toes shifting the gravel in agitation. She hadn't seen Jisoo since the library, since Jennie...since Jennie left. When Lisa had returned to their desk after their...conversation, Jisoo and Rosé were scrambling together excitedly, a paper clutched in Jisoo's fist, telling Lisa they had the answer before sprinting, full pelt, away from the library without further explanation or pause to ask why Lisa's eyes were so red.

"Oh, she was called to Professor Hwang's office last night for some reason...huh. Come to think of it, she never came back to bed."

Lisa blinked. "You're...not a very good girlfriend."