A Good Man and Isla Cruces.

Black Pearl

Elizabeth is sitting on the steps on deck of the Black Pearl the next morning. Charlotte had refused to tell her what had happened with Jack that had upset her so but her sister had cried herself to sleep last night. Then she had had a strange and upsetting conversation with Norrington that had left her questioning many things. It was this mood she was in when Jack walks over to her, holding a half empty bottle of rum.

"My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are, troubled." He addresses Elizabeth.

"I just thought I'd be married by now. I'm so ready to be married." She offers Jack the least of her woes.

Jack offers Elizabeth a drink from his bottle. "You know... Lizzy... I am... captain of a ship. And being captain of a ship, I could in fact perform a... marriage. Right here. Right on this deck. Right... now!" Jack was more that a bit drunk after spending the night with several bottles of rum instead of his darling Charlotte and in a strange mood as a result of their conversation.

Elizabeth recoils at Jack's suggestion and hands Jack back his bottle. "No, thank you."

"Why not? We are very much alike, you and I. I and you. Us." Jack points out remembering how Lottie had pointed out just this fact last night.

"Oh. Except for a sense of honor, and decency and-and a moral center. And personal hygiene." Elizabeth responds angrily.

Jack scoffs, "Trifles. You will come over to my side, I know it."

Elizabeth gives an unladylike snort. "You seem very certain."

Jack sways over to her and leans close to whisper. "One word love, curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day, you won't be able to resist."

Elizabeth swallows hard, Charlotte was right, he was terribly charming sometimes. "Why doesn't your Compass work?" She tried to change the subject.

Jack glances down. "Uh my Compass works fine."

"You're right Jack, we are alike, and because you and I are alike, I know there will come a moment when you have a chance to show it. To do the right thing." Elizabeth tells him as she leans back against the hull of the ship.

"I love those moments." Jack smirks, "I like to wave at them as they pass by.

"You'll have the chance to do something... something courageous. And when you do, you'll discover something: that you're a good man.

Jack scoffs, "You and your sister keep saying that, All evidence to the contrary."

Elizabeth nods, "I have faith in you. Want to know why?"

"Do tell, dearie." Jack responds sarcastically.

"Firstly, Because Charlotte has faith in you and despite everything, including whatever you have done currently to cause her to be this upset, you would never hurt her."

Jack rolls his eyes slightly and takes another drink of rum, he's not about to admit that he would rather cut off his own thumbs than ever hurt Charlotte but judging by Elizabeth's smirk she knows.

"Secondly, curiosity. You're going to want it. A chance to be admired. And gain the rewards that follow. You won't be able to resist." She leans forward till her lips are almost touching Jacks. "You're going to want to know... what it tastes like." She whispers.

Much to Jacks alarm his is not the least bit tempted by Elizabeth, just as she knew he wouldn't be. "I know what it tastes like, strawberries and brandy." Jack whispers and closes his eyes. He can almost feel Charlotte's lips pressed against his, the smell of her hair and the softness of her curves.