1 Hellfire Club

I woke up to Nancy's alarm that went off at 6:15. Usually, I would sleep in until 7:00, but today I wanted to look good for the pep rally.

I finished my makeup and hair, and threw on my Jean shorts and an old cheer t-shirt with my dad's letterman's jacket.

Once I was ready, I headed downstairs and sat with Nancy while she ate breakfast. I usually didn't eat breakfast, just read a book or talked to Nancy and her mom.

"Breakfast is brainfood Nicole. You should at least try to eat some eggs." Her mom said, as she put a scoop of eggs on Holly's plate.

"I'm just never hungry in the mornings." I replied.

She brought a plate over. "Just a few bites. Please?"

"Oh alright. Thank you." I said, taking the plate from her. She patted my back and then walked away.

Nancy looked down at her watch. We needed to leave in 5 minutes. "I'm gonna kill that little shit." She sighed, getting up to get Mike.

I finished the eggs on my plate, which made me feel guilty. I knew I shouldn't feel guilty. It was just eggs, but I did anyways.

"Hold on, I have to find my pants!" I heard Mike's muffled yelling, before Nancy came back downstairs to grab her bag.

I stood up and did the same, walking towards the door. "You know Nicole, you should probably eat more than just eggs. You're thin as a twig." Nancy's dad said as he walked in the kitchen.

Karen smacked him with a rolled up newspaper. "Go back in the living room Ted." She sighed.

"What? I'm just saying she needs a little meat on her bones if she wants to have energy for her cheer stuff." He replied, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

Soon, Mike rushed in and started making a pop tart. "Micheal, I know your D&D club is tonight." His mom started.

"Hellfire." Mike corrected her.

"Why don't you just call it the high school drop out club?" Ted scoffed as he walked back to the living room.

"I need you home no later than 9:00 tonight" Karen continued.

"I'll try." He said, dismissively.

"No trying. You need to go to bed early tonight." She added.

"Why?" He asked.

"Isn't it a 6:30 flight tomorrow to go see your lover?" I added.

Mike rolled his eyes at me. "Yeah, I know, but..."

"No buts. Nine or no California." Karen scolded.

"Mike! Let's go!" Nancy yelled at him.

"Jesus. How am I going to survive a whole week without you guys?" Mike said sarcastically, pulling his pop tarts out of the toaster and popping one into his mouth.

"Nine!" His mom yelled again as we walked out the door.

I walked with Nancy to the car and Mike trailed behind us. "I saw you had some eggs this morning." Nancy said quietly. "That's good!"

"If you say so." I sighed back at her.

"Listen Nicky, it's progress. That's what we need." She said back to me.

"I guess." I opened the car door and got in. The ride there mostly consisted of Nancy yelling at Mike about how he makes us almost late every day, and Mike bickering back that we've only actually been late like 3 times.

They bickered on, and I put my Walkman on to drown it out, listening to Every Breathe You Take by The Police. Still thinking about the eggs I ate, trying to figure out how many calories they were and what I would need to not eat for them to not count.