9 The Piggyback

After dropping off Erica, Lucas, and Max, we pulled out and headed for Eddie's trailer. The ride there felt unreal. Which was ironic, considering that in a few minutes I would no longer actually be in the "real" world.

There was a little bit of chatter about the plan among the other 5, but my mind was oddly quiet. I sat in my seat, spaced out, thinking about what's to come, yet feeling oddly calm. I felt Eddie's hand on my shoulder and I looked up at him. "Hey Nick. Everything ok?" He asked.

I nodded with a slight smile, and he took his seat back next to me. "Are you ready to slay inter-dimensional monsters and save the world?" He smiled.

I let out a slight laugh at his response. "Ready as I'll ever be, I guess."

"You know, I don't know if I've told you this yet, but you look pretty bad ass in leather. Maybe when we graduate you should become, like, a leather wearin' biker chick." Eddie said.

"Oh wouldn't that suit me so well." I said sarcastically. Eddie grabbed my hand and we watched out the window the rest of the drive.

Once we got to Eddie's house, everything became real. There was no more feeling like a dream. It was go time.

One by one we hopped out of the RV, and made our way inside. Steve stopped us once we reached the center of the room, right below the gate.

"Alright, I wanna run through it one more time." Nancy spoke, putting her hands on her hips, and directing her attention to the rest of us. "Phase one, we meet Erica at the playground. She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready. Phase two, Max baits Vecna. He'll go after her, which will put him in his trance. Phase three?" She said, looking towards Dustin, Eddie, and I.

"Me and the boys will draw the bats away." I said, confirming that at least one of us was fully in on what needed to happen.

"Four." Nancy said.

"We head into Vecna's newly bat free lair and..." Robin began, "flambé."

"Nobody moves onto the next phase until we've all copied." Nancy started. "Nobody deviates from the plan. Got it?"

We all responded I'm a somewhat synchronized string of "got it"s.

Once we had finalized the plan, Steve walked over the the rope sheet to go into the upside down and help the rest of us in. Before he could reach for if, Dustin grabbed his shoulder. "Be careful."

"Thanks Buddy." Steve responded to him. Then, Steve went in. He climbed until he himself was upside down, then he flipped himself over to land on his feet. He looked up at us as if he were an Olympic athlete who just preformed a gold winning stunt.

"What does he want us to do, applaud?" Robin said sarcastically.

Nancy and I scoffed out small laughs. As Steve walked away. He returned shortly placing the upside down mattress onto the floor for us to fall on. Unfortunately, it's not much cleaner than Eddie's real mattress.

"All right." Nancy sighs, before placing her weapons down and climbing up first. She landed on the mattress and Steve pulled her up. Next went Robin, then Me, then Eddie. Dustin through the rest of our gear through for us to move and soon, he was on the mattress in the upside down.

We got prepped and ready before heading outside. Before the others could start walking towards the playground, Steve turned to us. "Hey guys, listen. If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay? Draw the attention of the bats. Keep 'em busy for a minute or two. We'll take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just..."

"Decoys." Eddie, Dustin and I said and unison.

"Don't worry. You can be the hero, Steve." Dustin said, in a teasing tone.