Chapter 7

Third Person POV

Gordon walks up to an familiar shop. He takes a walk to the back of the shop and walks in. He stops once he's inside the door and hangs onto the second door. He watches Hans sharpen some skates. Hans stops.

"Gordon." He puts out there.

"How did you know?" Gordon asks, sulkishly.

"Through the back door at this time of night. Just like you used to." Hans answers, as he turned the machine off and turns around to face Gordon.
"You'd spend hours watching me do this. What do you think, is this sharp enough? Ow." Hans says, as he feels the skate and pulls his finger away fast.

"Did you cut yourself?" Gordon ask taking steps to get closer to Hans.

"No." Hans chuckles, "You always fell for that."

"God your morbid Hans." Gordon says, as he smiles and shakes his head.

"No, I'm Scandinavian." Hans remarks. Gordon chuckles.

"It's nice to see you." Gordon tells him.

"Sure sure sure. You probably thought I was dead." Hans replies, and chuckles again. Gordon joins in.

"I saw you at the game the other night. Why didn't you say anything?" Gordon asks.

"You were so busy screaming at the kids. I didn't want to spoil the moment." Hans says, and walks off. Gordon follows him to the front of the store. Gordon gives it a look over.

"Everything's the same." He says, still looking around.

"Well, the game hasn't changed. Why should my store?" Hans remarks. "Heard you became a doctor."

"Lawyer." Gordon corrects him.

"Oh that's to bad. Enjoy that?" Hans asks him.

"Well, i hardly ever lose a case." Gordon replies and chuckles.

"That's not what I asked." Hans says.

"Hm, i see you still have this up." Gordon says, referring to the newspaper article from his last year in hockey. Headline: 'Hawks Championship String Ends'. The picture is a little boy missing the net. Underneath it reads, 'Hawks' Gordon Bombay Misses Penalty Shot in O.T'. "Thanks very much." Gordon says.

"It's important to remember the past." Hans says, as he walks away from the counter and closer to where gordon is standing.

"I'd just as soon forget it." Gordon mutters. "That was the worst time in my life. My dad died that year."

"The two are not related." Hans says.

"No, but it felt like they were." Dad mutters again.

"I found this not long ago." Hans says, as he reaches underneath something and pulls out a picture frame. He hands it to Gordon. "He was proud of you." Hans says, as Gordon look at the photo. Him, Hans and his Dad.

"I miss him. I wish he could've met his granddaughter." Gordon says, and puts the photo down in the counter. He starts to walk off but stops when Hans speaks.

"You scored 198 goals that season Gordon. It's a shame you quit. You could.."

"Could have gone all the way. Yeah." Gordon tries finishes his sentence for him.

"No! You really loved to play. You remember?" Hans asks. Gordon turns around to face him.
"You remember you used to play on the ponds until after dark, until your father called you back. You really flew in that ice, Gordon." Hans tells him.

"That's all I ever wanted to do." Gordon mutters.

"Then why did you stop? Reilly?" Hans asks. "I saw what he did to you. Reilly is an idiot."