Chapter 9

We warm up on the ice by throwing around a football. Out the corner of my eye, i can see the Cardinals watching us.

"Every time you get the puck, you're the quarterback. Make eye contact with the receiver. Talk to him, let him know it's comin'" Dad tells us, as we keep throwing the football in a zigzag line.

Dad brings Fulton out and both us and the cardinals watch him. He gets lined up with the net and dad drops a thing of pucks in front of him. He starts hitting the pucks, a few going in and the rest going rogue.

The referee blows the whistle.
"Alright, let's forget the past. We lost a few games, tough! That was District 5. Now we're the Ducks." Dad says to motivate us. We all chime in with some yeahs. "And the Ducks... are undefeated." Then he starts quacking and soon we all join in.

"Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack"

The period starts and I'm on the ice. Jesse has the puck and is going down to the Cardinals net. I see somebody heading towards Jesse, and the guy was just a bit bigger than me but i take him down. Jesse scored and we all grouphug. The crowd goes wild.

When the puck drops again, late in the third period, the cardinals get it first and start going towards our net. Karp skates backwards in front of the guy, and when the guy goes to hit the puck, Karp falls to his knees and he gets hit right in the helmet. Dad walks out onto the ice over to where Karp lays, me and the ducks that were on the ice went over to him as well.

"I don't want to go to school today, mom." Karp says as dad takes his helmet off and sets it beside him.

"Karp, how many fingers am I holding up." Dad asks, holding up 4 fingers.

"He wouldn't know that anyway." Peter remarks, which causes me to giggle.

"Shut up Peter." Dad replies fast, before turning his attention back to Karp. "Karp are you okay?"

"Look at this." I say as I hand dad Karps helmet. Dad flips it around to show a massive dent where the puck hit him.

" The Karpster used his head to stop the puck. Mr. Karp-a-lanee." Averman starts saying which cause me to giggle again. I shake my head at the boy. We all help Karp up and back over to the bench.

"Okay ducks we still got a chance." Dad says, as he quickly looks up at the board and back to us.
"Y/n, terry, Jesse, Guy, time for the secret weapon. Okay Fulton. Remember just like we talked about." Fulton nods and we all head out to our spots. The puck drops and we get it to Fulton, he stops and winds up for his shot. Everybody on the Cardinal team ducks and goes towards the boards, even the goalie gets scared. Then at the last minute, Fulton passes it to to me and I skate and pass it to Guy, and Guy scores. We all group hug and go back to the bench.

"That tie of yours might be what you need to make the play-offs." Jans says, as we walk far back into the shop. Me and dad follow him.

"The Ducks have shot?" I ask.

"Sure. Everyone but the last 2 teams are in, you remember Gordon." Jans replies and dad nods.
"Panthers got the measles and they forfeited the season. So, you beat the Huskies, and you'll make the playoffs." Jans says, pointing to all of the teams wins/losses board. I look it over, and see that the Hawks are 12-0.

"Well, we might have to play the Hawks." Dad says, annoyed.

"So?" Jans asks.

"So they're a tough team. Nothings changed since I played." Dad replies, which catches my attention because I knew he played hockey just not for the Hawks.

"Actually one little thing has changed." Jans starts, which catches my dad and i attention. "You wouldn't even be a Hawk now. They redrew the district lines last year. The lake is not the boundary anymore." Jans points to the map of district lines. Me and dad step closer to get a better look. "You see, you'd be a duck."