Lemon Drop

"Yeah, this will work," I sighed for the hundredth time.

I was currently standing in front of the mirror critiquing my outfit for tonight. I wore a brassier bodycon dress that stopped right above the knees. Showcasing all of my curves perfectly. The deep ocean blue-colored fabric contrasted nicely against my skin tone. My hair was styled down, reaching past my shoulders. Needless to say, I looked hot.

"One more for good luck," I mumbled, throwing back a shot of liquor. I squeeze my eyes tightly and down a Sprite quickly after. "Alright, it's go time."

Locating the party was pretty easy. It took me about seven minutes to arrive at the destination. Walking closer, I could hear cheers mingled with the sound of the music being played. The bass rumbled on the floor as various party lights streamed from the Djs booth onto the dance floor. I made my way towards the outside bar pushing past groups of people.

"Hey, what can I get you?" the bartender asked.

"Give me a lemon drop," I replied with a smile.

The bartender gives me a nod and begins to prepare my drink. Leaving me to watch the crowd of people dancing and simply enjoying themself. As far as I could tell, I couldn't find Cammy yet.

"So, what brings you here?" The bartender spoke, handing me my drink.

" Someone suggested I come by and said there'd be a lot of hot guys," I reply coyly.

" Ahh, so you're hunting then," He replies with a laugh.

"Precisely," I answered, taking a sip of my drink.

"Well, call me Max." He informs, outstretching his hand for a shake.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Madi," I say, looking over at him. Max had a short buzzed haircut with a shaved slit on his right brow. His forearms looked covered in tattoos disappearing under his black work uniform.

"AHH, you came !" A familiar voice cheered. Turning around, I realized it was the friendly girl I had met. Cammy was wearing a yellow mini dress complimenting her brown skin. Her hair was braided down, stopping by her waist.

Playfully rolling my eyes, I spoke up, "I said I'd stop by."

Cammy throws back the drink in her hand, finishing it in one take. "I didn't know if you would be too tired after Old Andy's lesson."

"Leave Andrew alone, Cammy. You're just mad he has more work ethics than you." Max replied, prepping another drink.

Cammy pulls her face in a faux pout. "My work ethics are just fine. I just know how to live."

Max laughs and causes me to join in the fun. Cammy lets out a huff and shakes her head at us. "You're making me look bad, Max. Madi's my new friend."

Max raises his hands up. "Alright, alright."

"Ahh, whatever. Give us a round," She demands, moving closer to the island counter.

Max quickly hands us two shots, both paired with lemon. I quickly grab a glass and raise the glass towards Cammy. "To shitty work ethics," I say with a laugh.

Cammy rolls her eyes. "To the shittest work ethics," she cheers. Causing us to down the burning liquor.

"Alright, let's dance," I announced, pulling her towards the sandy dance floor.

We quickly begin to dance, following in line with the beat. Each time the bass hit, the further I fell in trance with the music. After dancing to a couple of songs, I decided that I needed to combat my thirst.

"Hey, I'm gonna get myself a drink," I announce, slowing my movements down.

"Yeah, that's fine. I am going to go say hi to my coworkers." Cammy responds and begins dancing toward a group of people.

I laugh; turning my eyes to the bar, I begin to make my way over. "Helloo," I sing to Max, taking a seat.

"Warn out yet?" He asked with a smirk.

I paused and placed my hand underneath my chin. "Nope, ask me in ten minutes, though."

"Lemon drop?" He asked for some reason, already prepping the drink.

"Yes, sirrr," I draw out, shooting him a closed eye smile.

I look at the dance floor as I wait for my drink. It was hard to see where Cammy and I previously were due to the growing crowd. Looking towards the direction where Cammy was headed, I wasn't able to find her.

Maybe she ventured off?

"Here you are," Max said, sliding the glass to me.

"Thank you," I replied. Quickly stomaching the zesty liquor.

Pushing past people, I make my way back to my original spot. Cammy wasn't in sight, and the group of people she was talking to were still there. I let out a sigh and began to dance with the crowd.

Cammy seemed to be an extroverted person, so I wouldn't be surprised if she became distracted by someone she knew. It was getting late, so I could just call it a night. It was already 1 am, so there wasn't any harm in heading out. I begin to walk to Cammy's coworkers, thinking it's best to relay a message through them. I didn't want to give her the impression I was still here.

"Hey, can you tell Cammy I'm heading back?" I asked, providing one more glance towards the floor.

"Yeah, we will if we see her," one of her friends replied.

"Ahh, that won't do. The night is still young." a deep voice interrupts.

I turned around, immediately wishing I didn't. I had run all the way to Jamaica, believing I had left everything back in Forks, only to have the universe mock me again. It was only a day of freedom and already I was back in this twisted world I'd been running from. Unable to escape those red eyes.

"Please stay for one more dance." The deep voice insists, his pale hand outstretched.

No, it couldn't be. These eyes were slightly different from the ones I've seen before. These mocking eyes weren't the dark wine-colored I was used to. These eyes were instead a ruby color that shone brightly. Yet no matter their shade of color, I knew exactly what he was.

A vampire.