Eye of the Storm

The much-needed time away from Caleb helped me regain focus on other attending matters at hand. I needed to find out what to do with Charlie. His texts were grating my brain, and I tried finding a reason for what I needed to do to prevent hollowing away in guilt. Charlie raised me as his own and stepped in when I had no one left. I was putting him through the same shit Bella did.

Was it my fault? Bella brought the Volturi in my direction. She didn't stop to think that reeling me in would cause major consequences. If it meant Bella could be a vampire with Cullens, I don't think my well-being is essential.

Maybe I needed to call Charlie and give him notice I was alive. At least give him something from me other than whatever words Bella put in his ears. I did manage to pull myself to read Rosalie's response on how they convinced Charlie I ran to do some college visits. The poor excuse made me want to reach out to Charlie even more. I ditched everyone in Forks without a second thought, and I couldn't help but feel the lingering pressure on my chest deepen more.

Shopping alone wasn't helping my brooding thoughts in the slightest. I kept criticizing each movement and motive in my drama, which made me want to hide. Yet, even actually hiding didn't help my luck. I was caught on a tightrope, desperately trying to balance everything thrown at me. What made it worse was the damn Kings sometimes creeping into my thoughts. I wasn't going back to them. They lied to me and tried to make me into some mistress. It was sickening to me, I was willing to give them a chance, and still, they managed to underestimate me. In what way did they think that hiding their marriage was a good idea?

"Thank you for coming. Enjoy." The cheerful cashier said as I collected my bags.

I give a slight nod and head towards the car Andrew was standing by.

"Did you find everything you need?" Andrew questioned.

"Yeah, I did. I think I am ready to go back now," I reply ploddingly.

I gave my bags to Andrew and made my way into the car. Andrew was kind enough to leave the a/c on, cooling me off from the harsh heat.

"So, how was the party?" Andrew spoke, maintaining his eyes on the roads.

"It was alright. Cammy was right about the party," I added. I wanted to get an idea of Andrew. I found conversing with someone easier than sitting alone in my thoughts.

"I see," he replies tersely.

He seemed uninterested in taking the bait. Today, Andrew had been quieter than I expected. I assumed Andrew would give me a lecture on Jamaica. Instead, he remained silent and distant.

"How long have you known Cammy? She seems nice." I questioned, curiosity burning in me. Andrew had tan skin that seemed slightly red from the harsh heat. His uniform was neatly worn, and he always spoke in great mannerism. He seemed to take everything seriously. I didn't know much about him, but from the little information I had, Cammy was the only one who made him slip.

"Maybe about two years now. I met Cammy when I picked up a job here." Andrew answers vaguely.

"Oh, okay," I reply. Maybe Cammy would be more receptive to telling me about them.

The conversation quickly fell silent, leaving me back to my thoughts. I still haven't found the courage to text Charlie, but I knew I would have to do it soon. I could manage in a couple of hours if I had given enough words of encouragement.

"If you like, I can bring your bags to your home in the next couple of minutes." Andrew offered.

"Yeah, that would be great," I cheerfully said. First, I needed to make sure Caleb was either gone or at least aware that I had someone dropping luggage off. Andrew taking my bags would give me enough time to ensure my thoughts.

Part of me wonders if he just left after me. I kept questioning my every move around him, wondering if I had subconsciously slipped up. I knew enough to expect to be dragged back if he realized who I was. My position gave me protection but only if they feared the Volturi. I got lucky with Caleb. He knew just enough information not to kill me. Additionally, he seemed convinced I was entertaining rather than a threat that needed to be dragged back to the Volturi.

I didn't realize how I was already a couple of steps away from the bungalow until hitting the wooden deck. Then, staring at the door, I took a sigh and walked in.

"Welcome home," Caleb's playful tone reached my ears.

Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I dramatically plop on the bed. "I thought I made sure you didn't eat room service."

"Funny, but she smelt of mothballs," Caleb chuckles, sitting near the bed.

"Maybe your just a picky eater," I joked. I was taking another step further into the morbid topic.

"Call it picky, but I call it standards." He shudders. The action causes me to burst into laughter. Caleb quickly joined in, causing me to laugh even harder.

After I calmed down from laughing, Caleb shot me a smooth look, " Would you like a drink?"