Renaissance

⚜⚜⚜

⚜⚜⚜

The sharp curvatures of the stoned walls insulted the cold air throughout the hallways of Volterra. I could feel the cold echo from the walls nipping at my skin as we walked further into the abyss. The path lit by placed candles allowed me to see a series of artwork, sculptures, and the occasional hooded figures. Everything about Volterra seemed to be frozen in the Renaissance era refusing to conform to modern times.

I find myself having great difficulty memorizing the turns and stairs we took. I could actually feel my legs grow sore from the quick pace. I kept my lips sealed, however, refusing to complain, instead, I kept focused on Alec and Jane as they guided me on a never-ending path. It didn't help that Demetri and Felix flanked behind me keeping at a constant pace.

"Buonasera," a lady said. Taking this as an opportunity I abruptly halt my steps giving my savior all my attention. She was beautiful. I dare compare her beauty to one of vampires. Her skin held a warm softness to it that paired well with her sage-like eyes. Her walnut-colored hair was perfectly styled in a low bun. She was certainly human; a human with their shit together.

"You're human." My words flowed out.

She doubled in shock, almost unsure of how to respond towards my statement. "I am, yes."

"Leave it." Jane's cold voice cut through our conversation. Creating the lady's face to become flustered. Before I could mutter an apology she had already turned back to her work. A slight pat on the shoulder prompted me to continue walking.

A pair of dark mahogany doors stood tall between marbled columns. Two vampires stationed on either side carried a distant look on their faces. Their faces never shifted as we got closer. The sight of the twins mere feet away was the only indication needed for both to simultaneously open the door revealing a room far brighter than the dark maze-like halls. A series of smooth columns popping out from the marble-stoned walls was what caught my eye first. The floors copied the marbling walls. The marble flooring consisted of emerald diamond-shaped patterns embedded in the marble. My attention eventually fell towards the center of the room. There they were, all three each sitting on an assigned throne. My breathing seized as my eye hesitantly examined the very people I fought to avoid. I hated how my eyes seemed to move on their own guiding me to view Aro's beauty first.

He stood tall on his throne letting the beams of light highlight his regal beauty. It was unsettling how his beauty wielded me. Sharp-defined angles were put as a priority by whichever God created him. He made no movement to acknowledge us only staring into my soul. His stare made me afraid to look away. As if the moment I did I would miss something crucial.

"Masters." Jane greeted outstretching her hand as she got closer to the stoned-cut steps. It was only then Aro broke whatever trance he had on me. Gliding over towards Jane she wasted no words of approval before grabbing ahold of her hand. The room fell silent waiting for Aro to leave his deep trance. I could feel the prickling sensation of pins and needles boring into my skin as I waited.