Chapter 4: CT-9904

Nala Se. She was very different than the other Kaminoans. There was a certain care that she took with things, even a gentleness. Of all of them, Nala Se was the only Kaminoan that Alanja could even remotely consider friendly. Though the scientist was cloistered about the depth of her dealings with the clones, she cared for them, especially the one she customized as a personal companion—Omega. Though strict with the little, bond-headed girl, Nala Se loved her not in a motherly way but more like a treasured pet. When Alanja came to visit Nala Se, the Kaminoan encouraged Alanja and Omega to enjoy each other's company, always urging Omega to share her snacks and tea.

Like other mornings, Alanja came early, this time with a shiny, red tin of sweet-sand cookies stowed away in Rov's travel cases. Hiding with Nala Se and Omega was not just a playful distraction; Alanja and Nala Se were both casually on the alert, Alanja searching for the hidden plans of the Kaminoans and Nala Se seeking friendship with the Ambassador to Kamino to protect her clones. Though Alanja knew the friendly relationship was terribly shallow, she suspected that Nala Se was the least hostile towards the Empire of any of the Kaminoans and desired a peaceful transition for more than just political gains.

As Alanja approached Nala Se's clinical desk, the Kaminoan woman never once looked up at her. Alanja placed the red tin on the desk with a quiet clatter and called out, "Omega. Come here, dear!"

If a Kaminoan could furrow her brow, she was doing it. "Forgive my distraction, Miss Rampart. I have lost track of my medical assistant once again." Though the Kaminoans always sounded so placid, there was a low-key panic in Nala Se's smooth voice. "With all of the returning clones, I am concerned she will find herself in trouble."

Alanja smiled reassuringly, thinking of the kind little, blonde-haired girl playing her sneaking games. That was the first time she had heard a Kaminoan so much as hinting a mistrust between them and their product. Concealing that she noticed Nala Se's misspoken words, Alanja consoled, "Your precious Omega can not have gone far. She is likely still in here. Come out, Omega. I have brought you a special treat this morning."

Nala Se was not reassured. Gently lumbering to the door and glancing back to see if Alanja would follow, the Kaminoan scientist said, "Perhaps you can talk some sense into her. You are human as she is." However, her sweet and pleasant demeanor was a cover for how her desperation raged below the surface like the churning of the ocean surrounding Tipoca City.

Alanja smiled at the compliment, scooped up her red tin, and joined her in the hallway. Nala Se was the only Kaminoan that didn't look down on her or seem to have some agenda to manipulate her—at least not in the immediate. Though Alanja was unsure if that assessment was accurate, she welcomed the idea that as the Ambassador to Kamino, at least she could hope for one ally in this bizarre place. "Why don't we split up? We could cover more ground that way."Her brow doing that tiny furrow again, Nala Se replied, "Are you sure? This facility is quite large. You could become lost as well."

Alanja flashed another smile and waved a hand out towards the endless clones. "One of them will know how to get me back."

"Very well," said Nala as she pointed south. "Follow this way. And I will go the opposite."

Her frothy, iridescent gown belted in gold swishing behind her, Alanja strode through the squads of troopers, peering down each hall as she passed and opening every door that wasn't locked.

As she moved closer to the sounds of machinery and engines, the tang of oils and fumes hung in the normally crisp Kaminoan air. She was at the launch bay again. Unlike before, the clones had a little less rigidness as they went about their tasks. She thought she even heard one laughing.

Standing in the middle of the vast corridor, rivers of white armor rippled by on all sides of her as if she was a delicate flower tossed into rapids. This indeed was a hive of villainy. How could the Republic have sanctioned such a thing? She imagined the retirement of such men, the blood of the foundling of Mandalore, Jango Fett, spreading out across the galaxy as they plundered and took wives. If they were allowed such a freedom for their service, how long until a vast swath of humanity were conformed to their genes and the variety of her people systematically destroyed?