Chapter 30: The Quiet Danger

When Rov returned, he patted Crosshair on the shoulder. The two men stood in the doorway, looking at Alanja tucked into Rov's bed. Though still shaken, seeing them watching over her together brought her comfort. The danger was not entirely passed, but they were all three still alive.

"Thank you, commander," said Rov.

Crosshair nodded, shifting his toothpick to the other side of his mouth. Seeing the two men at peace with each other added to Alanja's hope that what happened to Teller, Gimbal and Howzer could be quelled without more violence, especially after Rov's harsh rebuke of Crosshair when he warned about Clone Force 99 on Ryloth. She was glad to see them on common ground, even if it was just an acknowledgment of her safety.

Alanja pretended to be asleep when Rov left Crosshair on guard at the doorway and entered in with her, but in reality, she had only feigned rest after Crosshair went to escort Rov back to the city from the refineries. How could she relax knowing how desperately they needed to get off Rytloth and back on board a starship?

"You're safe, Miss Rampart. We're here for you," Redissa had assured her when Crosshair left the soldier behind to guard Alanja.

Alanja curled up in Rov's bed, the covers pulled tightly to her chin. "You probably think I am a fool. And perhaps I am," Alanja confided in Redissa, her words a little slurred from the swelling in her battered face.

"No, ma'am." The woman's black eyes softened. "You were doing your job, just like we did ours. We all knew Captain Howzer and his squad a ticking time bomb. It was why Admiral Tarkin sent Admiral Rampart to intervene here. Without you, Miss Rampart, more troopers may have been lost. Your kindness to Teller is what saved you, ma'am. I don't have to like the clones, but they have to like us. You are as much of a loyal soldier in the Empire as I am. Your service is commendable and quite brave."

Alanja blinked away the moisture in her eyes. She had no idea that Redissa held that kind of respect for her.

"Admiral Rampart was brilliant to bring you here."

Alanja had never really thought of it that way. "It is still delicate," Alanja slurred.

Redissa waved at her left hand, bringing attention to the black ring on Alanja's finger. "Good thing we have you. I don't know how you do it, but your favor among the clones is most impressive."

"Kindness is more powerful than any weapon ever constructed."

Redissa smirked. "Is that how you got the commander to like you? You were kind to him?""Yes," replied Alanja.

Redissa shook her head as if she didn't really believe it. However, that was precisely how Alanja had won the loyalty of CT-9904. She showed him the ultimate kindness when she rescued him from decommission and reclamation and then had his chip removed. Being in his arms tonight reminded her of the time in the Kaminoan infirmary where she held onto him while he struggled to survive.

Now Rov and Crosshair were there for Alanja just as she had been there for both of them. Sitting on the far side of his bed, Rov's shoulders hunched with his hands over his face, waking Alanja back into the moment. His uniform looked pristine, but he smelled like acrid soot. Just as he was when Alanja spoke to him over the comm earlier, Rov was still boiling like a pot with a secured lid. His spartan control was all that kept him from razing Ryloth. The people here had no idea of the depths of his mercy.

He ran his fingers through his hair and turned towards her, putting his masculine hand on hers. He was more troubled than she had ever seen him, more guilt-ridden than when he brought her the news of her husband's death.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I should have never come back for you on Naboo. You were safe there."

Rov didn't look her in the eye when Alanja gazed up at him. At the door, Crosshair stood guard with his back to them, holding his rifle. The two men, in their recklessness, had caused this situation to escalate. If they had not attacked Taa so brazenly, this might have been avoided, and Howzer and his men could have still been put to good use. But now, that was over. Alanja would oversee the executions of Howzer and his men on Kamino when she returned to her post.