Chapter 8: War-Mantle

"Ah, here she is now," Rov said proudly as Alanja strode into the training room, her pale, sea foam green gown belted by a thin silver chain wafting like a trail of swirling fog.

Four soldiers in black armor, two females and two males stood at attention with their helmets under their arms, their eyes straight ahead as if the only thing that mattered to them was the wall behind her. Tall, blond, and handsome with a chiseled face, one of the soldier's gazes flickered her way. His broad chest rose, filled with a deep breath that flared his nostrils as he stood even taller. Alanja tucked away a knowing smile. This soldier knew how impressive he was. It was always entertaining when men acted that way when they wanted it to be noticed, as if somewhere down deep needed it to be confirmed. Rov was like that sometimes, too; many soldiers were. The approval of their commanders was their world. She had even seen the clones do it.

Alanja paused at Rov's side, her head held high with a pleasant but aloof smile as she let her gaze drift over the four elite soldiers. At first glance, they didn't seem any more impressive than any others she had seen, but if Rov had handpicked them, they were men and women of exceptional talent and potential. These four were Rov's test plan to replace the clones. If they could learn the clone commandos' skills and prowess, more of them would be added to Project War-Mantle. Every move the new Empire had ahead of it was desperate behind the facade of strength. Only when loyal men and women replaced the ranks of the cloned Grand Army of the Republic would real stability and peace begin. And that new force had to begin right here in the sterile, white prison on Kamino immediately.

"At ease," Rov commanded the black-clad soldiers. Their stances widened, and all four looked at Rov and Alanja. "Ambassador Rampart, I would like to introduce you to the first recruits of Project War-Mantle."

Seeing the thirst for Alanja's approval in the soldiers' eyes, Alanja flashed a haughty smile over her pleased gaze, allowing her pride in them to fill the air. Though she had not seen them perform, these four were magnificent, a hope for the dark days ahead as the Empire thrust forward and established order.

"Admiral Rampart has had so many nice things to say about the four of you," Alanja said warmly. The blond soldier looked humbled in a confident sort of way, forcing down a grin. There was nothing more satisfying to Alanja than witnessing the first timid victory of the trust game with a new acquaintance. ES-01 and his comrades were primed for greatness.

Rov beamed. "And they deserve it. These soldiers are the future of the Empire."

Alanja let her grin broaden. "Then future has hope. Well met."