Chapter 15: Humanity

Crosshair's ship was impressive. It loomed dangerously among the others in the Kaminoan hanger. Even Alanja could see its modification with additional armor and canons that were more advanced than the others.

"Now that's a ship," said Sharp, one of the members of her cloned guards. "They gave that to that sad batcher?"

Alanja smiled, concealing her urge to shove the clone or dress him down for his disrespect. "The Empire rewards loyalty," she purred at him. "Commander Crosshair is exemplary."

"Yes, ma'am," replied Sharp. Though she could not see his expression behind his scowling, white helmet, the shift in his stance gave away his discomfort at being spoken to. She smiled at him and gave him a shy wink. That always seemed to work better with her clone escort than reprimanding, just like it had Crosshair.

Alanja smoothed down her flowing, pink gown as she approached the ramp, giggling to herself just thinking about winking at Crosshair to see what he would do. A cloned porter hurried down towards her, his head down in his logs.

"Oh," he said, startled by her as much as she was by him. "You aren't supposed to be here. Can I help you?"

"This is Ambassador Rampart. Show some respect," barked Corsair.

The porter flinched before standing up at attention and taking in the sight of Alanja and her four troopers. "Forgive me, ma'am. I was just—"

"Speak when spoken to," said Corsair as he put himself between Alanja and the porter.

Alanja drew a deep breath and smiled, putting on an outward appearance of regal confidence, glancing past the two clones into the rear of the ship. "I am here to see Commander Crosshair and his squad."

The porter frowned. "They're not here," he said as he furrowed his brow and glanced down at his log.

Alanja moved to step past him. "Surely, you jest," she said with a laugh. "I came as soon as they entered Kaminoan space. Did the commander put you out here to run me off?"

The porter bristled and insisted, "They've already left, ma'am."

Alanja mirrored the clone's scowl, saying, "He said I could come and see his ship when they returned. Where did he go?" Alanja turned to her troopers, huffing in frustration. "Where could they go so quickly?"

Before her troopers could reply, the porter said, "The infirmary, ma'am. CT-9904 looked pretty bad. I don't know if he's going to make it."

Alanja stared, stunned as her fingers rose over her parted lips. She swallowed down a spike of pure panic, her head whipping towards the porter. "What happened?"

The porter shrugged, his countenance wavering before her abruptness. "I don't know, ma'am."

Alanja turned on her troopers. "Take me to the infirmary."

Her heart raced as she struggled to keep her fast walk from turning into a sprint. Every step was too slow. Her gut wrenched inside her. Rov should have never let Crosshair chase after his old squad. They were too dangerous and better off letting them fade away.

Crosshair's ES Unit huddled together near the infirmary doors, all still wearing their helmets as if they had rushed straight there as soon as their ship reached the hangar. When they noticed her approach, Alanja instinctively smoothed down her gown, hoping they would not notice how disheveled she felt. One by one, they removed their helmets. All of them wore solemn expressions, their gazes concerned that there could be punishment coming.

Before any of them could speak, Alanja demanded to know, "What happened?"

ES-02 answered, trying to not sound alarmed, "He was badly burned."