Chapter 4: Reckless

Vigor's POV:

Starring at the map of overall Dicathen's geography, I estimated that it would take me from around 2 days to get to the nearest dungeon in Beast Glades. But that is by walking, if I can supply me with adequate mana potions to keep using wind spells and mana augmentation to boost my speed and stamina for a long period of time, I can reduce it to only 2 hours.

Another worth noting point is the horde of mana beasts that I will need to deal with. I've killed men before, a lot to be honest in my first life, but my experience in fighting with mindless fantasy animals is zero. Most of them may have small brains but their unpredictable number is not something that adventurers should underestimate. Moreover, there will be no teams to get my back if I am stupid enough to get surrounded or cornered because I'm on my own.

After conducting extra researches, I gained essential information about the dungeon that I soon to enter: Growl of Kobolds (Author's note: I'm just suck at naming), a D-class dungeon. Living up to its name, this dungeon is inhabited by Kobolds. Then, I turned to the encyclopedia book about mana beasts:

'Kobolds ,class:E, description: reptilian humanoids, standing between 60cm to 80cm tall, with scaled skin between reddish brown and black in color and burnt orange to red eyes. Their legs were sinewy and digitigrade. They had long, clawed fingers and a jaw like a crocodile. Small white or tan horns protruded from their head, and they had rat-like tails. They would often smell of wet dog and stagnant water, welp the last detail was gross.'

Moving on to the tips of fighting against Kobolds, I noticed a method that will make my plan so much easier although it requires crucial ingredients. Luckily, my uncle's lab has a giant storage room to contain hundreds of different ingredients for Alchemy activities and researches, I have to ask him permission to take some.

___________________________________________

Walking through the great hall of Kinsteel's manor where my family would eat, welcome guests and conduct business, I unconsciously looked at paintings hung on the wooden wall that acted as decorations. Although I've seen those paintings for thousands of time, their unique aesthetics lingered over time never failed to get my attention. The main source of light for the great hall was a chandelier hung from the center of the ceiling with a fancy looking design, like a snowflake made from pure crystal with branches of light bulbs that run by a installed mana system.

On my way, I met some servants, maids of my family and said greetings to them. And then I turned into a room, opened its door, what I saw was the entire room filled with tons of cleaning tools and other household objects. My gaze however focused on a small painting hung on near the corner of the wall on the left with a size of a dining plate. As I lifted up the painting, I saw a button on the wall that was covered by the painting the whole time. The moment I pressed it, a part of the wall behind me which is the wall on the right of the room, slided down completely, revealing a secret stair case leads to our family's dungeo-, I mean our family's basement.

Sprinting through the stone spiral staircase , I came down to the floor of the laboratory and saw my uncle's sitting on a chair, examining several chemical glass tubes with various colored liquid inside them. It seemed that he didn't recognize my presentation, I attempted to prank him by cutting a leg of his chair with my wind spell to make him fall.

"I know you're going to use mana to make fun of me you little brat! Don't make me come over there and teach you a lesson." My uncle yelled while not even looking at me as if he's already known my present by minutes ago.

"Wait! How? You are not even a mage."
I confused.

"Mana source detector wristlet, a new prototype by artifacters. Whenever a sudden rise of mana is near the user, the gem on the wristlet will glow. Pretty handy when I have a devil nephew who always try to prank me." He said with a grin and amusing tone.