Chapter Fifteen

*Not Proofread*

[Meanwhile...]

"Man, this sucks!" Taehyung whines. "I wanted the full hunting experience in the sixteenth century and all we're allowed to do is fish?!"

Jungkook ignores Taehyung as he is hyper focused on the fish that are swimming nonchalantly in the small pond Namjoon had found. He holds a sharpened stick and throws it, killing said fish. "Ha! First try!!" He pumps his fist in the air.

"We can't risk chasing after an animal out in the open. Fish will be fine for tonight; we're not far off from Gyeonggi Province anyways." Namjoon says, successfully spearing a fish also.

Taehyung groans. "I have no luck with these fish!! Why can't Jungkook just shift and hunt for rabbit holes, there's bound to be some in the tree line!"

"I'm a wolf not a fox! That's not how it works dumbass!!" Jungkook shouts.

Namjoon stands all of a sudden, watching the trees with wide eyes. The two boys become silent, listening too. Jungkook sniffs the air and then growls.

"Someone's here," he says softly.

"Shh." Namjoon shushes. "Not a word."

   In the distance there was a soft singing. It was quite ominous and made both Tae and Jungkook's skin crawl. Namjoon however, went back to his fishing. "It's only a dullahan, just ignore it."

   "A dullahan? What's that?" Asks Jungkook.

   The singing got a bit closer, causing for Jungkook to continue watching the forest. Soon he was able to make out a silhouette of a woman. She looked to be giving off a ghostly glow as she walked through the trees, singing.

   Taehyung throws his makeshift spear and curses when he misses again. "A dullahan is a type of fairy. They mostly come from the souls of those who committed suicide." He explains. "They're rather annoying."

   Even when Namjoon said to ignore the fairy, he couldn't. Something about the dullahan captivated him. She was strolling around, brushing her hand over shrubs and bushes, looking around at the tree tops and singing to herself. Although, his strong gaze didn't go unnoticed by the fairy. Eventually she felt his eyes on her and turned to look in their direction. For a while her and Jungkook simply look at one another and she gives a smile. The smile that the male had soon turned sour when he witnessed the dullahan turn and head back into the forest.

   But her head was still facing in the direction of the boys.

   "What the—."

   "Dullahan's heads aren't attached to their bodies." Namjoon says after watching Jungkook's expression. "They don't really cause harm during the day. Thankfully this one had her head on otherwise it would've been even more freaky for you Jungkook." He jokes. "It's good to know she's here though. That way the watchman tonight knows to be on the alert for any more dullahans."

   "Th-There are more...?" Jungkook gulps. "What do you mean they don't cause harm during the day? Do they harm people??"

   Namjoon nods. "Mostly during nighttime. Their heads fall off while their bodies sleep elsewhere and look for blood to drink." He says. "But they're afraid of fire so hopefully Jimin and Jin have collected enough wood to last us the entire night."

For the majority of the hour, the trio fish at the pond. Taehyung was only able to successfully spear one fish, giving up on spearing another three as they had agreed on four fish per person, so they may take the other two fish for their journey the next day. Namjoon had instructed him to go into the forest and search for the small abandoned shed they had passed while searching for food and retrieve the two buckets that were left in there. As he walked, however, he was now aware of dullahans that might be roving. Although they are known to attack during the night, something felt off in this forest.