Secret Russian Communication

{WORD COUNT: 764}

    I woke up the next morning and looked at the clock. 10:00. Crap! I was late for work. Steve must be too since he didn't pick me up this morning. I rushed to get ready and grabbed my backpack running out the door straight to Scoops Ahoy. I made it there an hour later in a huff extremely tired from all the running I had just done. I ran straight into the back looking for Steve. "Steve! I swear to god!" I yelled. I was lucky we weren't very busy otherwise I would've gotten some weird stares. "Yes, my love?" he asked. "Why the h3ll didn't you pick me up this morning?" I questioned quite angrily. "I'm sorry, I forgot. You're late by the way. By like two hours." he told me. "No duh! Had you come to pick me up I wouldn't have been!" I fumed. "I'm sorry. I was almost late as well, so I didn't think to come pick you up." he added. "Good." I ended and went to the front of the store to start working. 

    About halfway through my day, Dustin came in. (Ok, I know this would've already happened but it does not follow the events in order because I don't know where what goes). "Steve, Y/n, I need to talk to you." he rushed. "Ok, one second." I told him and went to get Steve. "Steve, Dustin said he needs to talk to us." I told him as I opened the door. He walked out with me and we sat down with Dustin who had ordered a U.S.S Butterscotch like the last time we were there. "Where are the other kunckleheads?" Steve asked. "They ditched me yesterday." Dustin told us. "No." Steve faltered. "Can you believe that sh!t?" Dustin asked annoyed. "Woah! Seriously?" Steve questioned. "I swear to god. Mm, they're gonna regret it though. Big time. When they don't get to share in my glory." he told us. "Glory? What glory?" Steve puzzled. "So, last night I was trying to get in contact with Suzie. And uhm..." he stopped mid-sentence and mumbled something. Neither of us could hear him though. "What?" Steve asked whispering back. Dustin mumbled something again but we still didn't hear him. "Just speak louder." Steve told him. "I intercepted a secret Russian communication!" Dustin yelled. The whole parlor turned and looked at us. "Geez, sshhhh." Steve quieted. "Yeah, that's what I thought you said." he continued. "Wait, what does that mean?" he asked. "It means, Steve, we could be heroes. True American heroes." Dustin told us. "How do you know it wasn't a fake radio signal? Or just some adults doing something stupid?" I asked. "Y/n, who in Hawkins do you know that even knows Russian?" Dustin countered. "No one." I told him. "Exactly." he said. "American heroes?" Steve asked continuing where Dustin had left off. "Think. You could have all the ladies you want and more." Dustin told him. "Uhm, excuse me." I interrupted. "Sorry." he apologized. I scoffed as he continued, "Yeah, no, I don't need more ladies. One lady I really love is enough." Steve smiled.  "What's the catch?" Steve asked. "No catch, I just need your help." Dustin answered. "With what?" Steve asked. "Translation." Dustin told him pulling out a small red-orange book from his backpack. "I could help translate. I know a little Russian." I told him. "Perfect." Dustin smiled. We took the book and Dustin into the back and started writing the Russian alphabet on the small whiteboard Robin had been using to figure out if we sucked or if we ruled. So far, we sucked.

    For the next couple of weeks, we translated the Russian with the help of Robin. "We got our first sentence." Robin told us as she peeked through the small window between the front room and the backroom. "Oh, seriously?" Steve asked. "No way." I smiled. "The week is long." she said in a Russian accent. "Well, that's thrilling." Steve was now completely unimpressed. "Seriously unimpressive." I added. "I know, but progress." she grinned and went back into the room. "Ok, we got a strawberry and then a vanilla with sprinkles, extra whipped cream." he said handing Max and El their ice creams. "Thanks." they chorused. "Wait a second. Are you even allowed to be here?" Steve asked. They looked at each other, laughed, and ran away. "No, she's not. But don't rat her out. She's just trying to have some fun." I told him. "Uhhh, ok." he faltered. I laughed and went into the back.