Chapter Eleven

We spent the next two days with Mum at the hospital. Her arms were bandaged and she looked as horrible as ever, but Bradley still managed to get her to smile. She had to stay there for a couple of weeks so the Doctors could keep an eye on her. A family Psychologist was called, but I ‘forgot’ when my appointment was. Truth was I didn’t need his help. I was fine on my own.

We were soon sent back to school as both Hayden and I couldn’t afford to miss anymore. I had exams in less than three weeks so I really needed to get my head in the game.

Both mine and Bradley’s swollen eyes had gone down, but there was still a bit of bruising left, and Rod believed Dad would be back any minute. He always glanced up whenever someone came into the room, hopeful. My forearm was healing, but it still hurt like a bitch, and people asked me why I always wore hoodies in summer. I usually just shrugged and said I got cold really easily, which wasn’t true at all.

I was at my locker on Thursday morning before school started when Rabbit acknowledged my existence. “I thought you were dead,” she hugged her folder close to her chest, her sleeves pulled down over her fingers. She was wearing the same clothes as she did on that Saturday.

Not bothering to look at her, I asked, “When?”

“Last week! Why weren’t you at school?” she demanded, and then I realised what must have been running through her mind.

I felt like telling her to mind her own business, but I didn’t want to be rude to her. I mean, she saved my life. Instead, I shook my head. “Something came up.”

“Like?” she, asked out of pure impatience.

“Like,” I dragged the word out. “Something you don’t need to worry about.” I shut my locker door and turned the key. “You know, for someone who wanted to forget about me, you’re not doing a very good job.” I didn’t dare look at her. I wanted to wrap my arms around her waist and pull her close, but I didn’t even really know her. Was it possible to fall madly in love with a girl you hardly knew?

“I’ll see you in English,” she said before storming off. What was her problem?

By the time it was fourth period, I was a tired, grumpy and hungry mess. I hadn’t eaten all day, and I was feeling really sick because of it. I was used to ignoring Talia, Jordan and Blake, but they still insisted on following me around school, trying to find out what was wrong. I admired their patience with me, but I just wanted to be left alone. I decided I’d sit beside Talia in English, as it was the furthest seat I could possibly get from Rabbit. But then Rabbit, of course, decided to take the empty seat beside me. I sighed loudly and Talia narrowed her eyes at me.

Mr. Kerr handed out revision worksheets about Shakespeare’s play, Macbeth, that were to be completed in silence, but they remained untouched by me. He was silly to think I actually read the play. Several minutes passed before Rabbit slid a lilac notebook in front of me and tapped it with her pen. In linked handwriting, it read:

Hey Emerson…

I took a black ben from Talia’s pencil case, ignoring the look she gave me, and replied in my messy scrawl,

Hey…

Rabbit: How’s it going?

I wondered if I should have been honest with her, but she probably couldn’t have cared less. She was just bored.

Me: Good… you?

Rabbit: Same. I never thanked you for saving me.

So this was why she was talking to me?

Me: You’re welcome. You can stop talking to me now…

Rabbit: Why are you being so rude? You know, for someone who didn’t want to forget me, you’re doing a pretty bad job.

Me: Well, I grew up a bit.

Rabbit: Obviously not.

Me: What’s your name?

Rabbit: I can’t tell you…

Me: …Why not?

Rabbit: It will be harder for you to forget about me.

Me: Whatever. Piss off then.

I never got a reply to that, but I could feel her looking at me. After several minutes, I turned to face her. “Just tell me your name,” I whispered.

She shook her head.

Please?” I begged. I didn’t understand why I was getting so emotional over this. I could feel my eyes watering but I fought hard to keep the tears hidden.

“No, I am not telling you my-”

“Mia! I can hear you from all the way over here!” Mr. Kerr peered at us from his laptop screen.

“Sorry sir,” the girl next to me muttered.

I glanced at her, smirking. “Shame,” I whispered and she just shook her head, hugging herself.

Mia ignored me for the rest of the week, and not being able to handle things at home, I found the slip of paper that I wrote her address on and decided to see her. It was Saturday and after one in the afternoon so I hoped she was home or at least dressed or something.

Fighting back my nerves, I turned my music down as I pulled into the familiar driveway. The windows were open on both floors, and there was a car in the garage, so it was obvious someone was home.

Taking a few deep breaths I hopped out of my car and reached her front door, doing three steady knocks. My hands were shaking so I folded my arms across my chest, barely able to breathe as my heart thudded loudly. I was just about to head back to my car when the door opened and a rather large, overweight woman appeared, curiously looking me up and down. I was waiting for her to say something, but when she continued to awkwardly stare at me, I found my words. “Uh, does Mia live here?” I asked uncertainly, stepping backwards, not being able to stand still.

The woman smiled, “Yes, I’ll go get her.” She disappeared and later I heard her call out, “Mia, there’s a cute boy at the door wanting to speak to you!” I could see the resemblance of Mia and her Mother. They had the same eyes and face structure.

It seemed like hours before Mia popped her head around the door, and only her head. She looked at me, confused. “Uh- hey,” I smiled. My smile grew wider as I saw the blue fabric with white polka dots by her exposed feet. “Are you in your pyjamas?”

She blushed and quickly hid further behind the door. “No,” she replied quickly.

“Whatever,” I smirked. “I was wondering if you wanted to hang.”

There was silence behind the door, and then I could hear whispering. Mia sighed, “Yeah, I’ll be out in a sec’. I’ll meet you at your car.”