Chapter Eighteen

“Hit me!”

Hayden pushed me against the wall. I knew better than to resist, this kid needed to think he was strong sometimes.

“Go on, hit me,” I provoked.

I had no idea how I made Hayden this angry. It was funny really, a short little fourteen year old against a big seventeen year old. Yeah, he’d win for sure. No doubt.

I watched as Hayden’s brow furrowed. His face reddening as his blood started to boil. His eyes were bloodshot from crying, and his hands were balled into fists. I gave him an exaggerated smile, knowing it would only annoy him more. Part of me wanted this boy to punch me, to get out his anger. I didn’t know if it would help him or not, but this kid had problems. He needed help.

“No, Dad did that enough already,” he said, stepping back slightly.

It was funny, in ways, that one day could be filled with so much love, and then the next was hatred.

Mum came in then, turning her fourteen year old son around. “What? Don’t be stupid! He never hit any of you!” she cried, shaking his shoulders. “Why would you say something like that?”

“It’s true!” Hayden yelled. “Every week, he’d beat the crap outta us. You were just too fucking stupid to realise!”

I stepped in then, releasing Mum’s grip on Hayden’s shoulders. “It’s not good to lie, Hayden,” I said seriously. “Dad never laid a finger on us.” Mum didn’t need to know that the love of her life was also an abusive Father. She loved him to death, knowing the truth would just shatter her.

“Thank you, Emerson. Both of you go to your rooms! I don’t need this shit,” she said, walking out of the room.

I hit my brother on the back of the head, “Don’t be stupid.”

My phone vibrated in my back pocket. It was a text from Mia,

Uh hey… can we talk, please? I need to tell you something…

“Are you even listening to me?” Hayden pushed me.

“Um, what was that, sorry?” I said slowly. What did Mia mean? My heart pounded in my chest, so fast it made me lightheaded. I swallowed, hard, shaking.

“She needs to know,”

“I need to go to Blake’s,” I lied. “Tell Mum I’ll be back tonight.”

“What? No! We’re supposed to-”

I didn’t wait for my brother to finish. Instead, I quickly walked to my car and hopped in.

I rushed to her front door and pounded my fist against the cool wood, breathless. What did she mean she had something to tell me? Didn’t that usually mean it was something bad?

I stepped back and folded my arms across my chest, hearing footsteps pounding against the stairs, then two clicks before the front door opened, revealing a very dishevelled, vulnerable girl. Her hoodie was hugged tightly around her, her russet-brown hair tied in a messy bun. Her eyes were bloodshot and puffy, the instant giveaway that she had been crying. She still looked breath-taking.

I cleared my throat, “What’s wrong?”

She wouldn’t look at me.

“You can come inside,” she said, opening the door wider and stepping aside. I hesitantly followed close behind her as my unsteady legs somehow managed to climb up the stairs and into her bedroom. We sat on her bed, facing each other, legs crossed. I wondered if her Mother was at home. I was dying to properly meet her, though I knew in these circumstances, it would be horrible of me to ask. Mia obviously had other things on her mind.

Neither of us spoke for a while. I was wondering if she was going to break up with me. She better not. I loved her to death. She didn’t know that, though.

“You know you can tell me anything, right?” I was making sure.

Without looking at me, she nodded. “Of course,”

I nodded, clasping my hands together firmly so I wouldn’t fidget. Mia continued to stare at her purple duvet cover. Her room was so girly. Her walls were painted white, but mostly everything else was purple. The wall above her bed had several photos of us together, then some with her and Melody.

“Um,” she was chewing on her lower lip, nervously playing with her hair. “I don’t know how to tell you… I-I should have said it earlier… I’m sorry,” she started crying.

“Hey, what is it?” I asked, wiping her tears away. I forced her to look at me.

She shook her head. “You’ll break up with me.”

“Babe, I won’t break up with you. Just please, tell me what’s wrong?” I pleaded.

She removed my hands from her cheeks and placed them in my lap before hugging her knees to her chest. I was here with her in the room but she looked so alone. As if she felt alone in this world. It had only been nearly three months but I loved her so much, why would I break up with her? She’s the most amazing girl in this world. I never wanted to lose her.

She muttered something into her knee. She was biting her jeans, hiding.

“What?”

She repeated a little louder, “I have cancer.”

A/N: Aww what?!