Chapter Twenty-Five

I never thought I would see myself here again, alone and as lost as I was exactly one year ago, but nowhere near as deadly. Here I am; coming to terms with everything I have lost. I spend a lot of time with Mia’s Mum. I’m not sure if that’s good, but she needs someone. She needs something to link back to her daughter, to see the impact Mia’s short life had on people.

A lot has happened this past year, and yet, none of it was what I thought. I’ve lost my Father, I fell in love just to lose her to cancer, I saved a life, and my best friend has finally battled his addiction. To think, exactly a year ago today, I could have missed out on all of that. I’m glad I stayed.

I am glad I didn’t give up.

You should never give up. That’s giving in to the devil; his lies that you are unworthy.

Everyone is worthy.

If I left, then I would have missed out on saving and meeting the most amazing girl in the world. How stupid was I?

I clamber down the hill, holding onto the trees as I go along, until I reach the part where I stood when I first ever spoke to Mia. I look out to where she stood, remembering how vulnerable she looked and yet, like the ocean, she was so beautiful. I will never erase that memory for another.

Not in a million lifetimes.