15. | James

Bringing Riley to The Next Step felt strange at first but it didn't take long for the two of us to warm up to it.

 I hadn't been here in what seemed like forever but everything still looked the same. The walls were the same. The glass windows had the same finger-prints from when we were kids inscribed onto it. The floors were still as smooth as they possibly could be and the mirrors and dance equipment were exactly as they were before I chose to leave. 

Riley seemed to find this whole place a lot more enthralling than it really was but I couldn't blame her. She was used to the posh, expensive side of interiors, not places like this where graffiti was allowed to consume the walls at each and every corner. 

We walk down through the hallways until we get to Studio A where everyone was already gathered inside. 

The team had been assembled a couple of weeks ago. We were supposed to be heading to Nationals since we got through to Regionals last year but whether we would be able to go or not depended on how generous the North Side would feel when it comes to lending us the right amount of money. 

We were still going to act like we were heading to a large competition by the end of this even if it wasn't exactly for certain just yet. 

Riley and I had both agreed to not bring up the fact she was from North Side to anyone. The only people who knew so far were the boys and Michelle and it was best if we kept it that way. 

We didn't want there to be a split in the team because a lot of the team members have negative views towards those from the other side of town. Especially Kate. If she was to find out where Riley was coming from, she would flip and I doubt she'd even let her on the team. 

"So keep it secret, yeah?" I say to Ri just as we were about to enter while I held both of our hands.

 She smiles softly, nodding, but I could see the clear nervousness simmering in her eyes. I stroke my thumbs over the back of her palms before letting go of them so the two of us could enter the studio entirely. 

All sets of eyes fall on us but I don't leave Riley's side. Our arms were practically stuck together while my hand brushed against hers as I stood right next to her.

I clear my throat to gain Kate's attention because she was the only one not facing us since she was giving the team an announcement but she turns around just after hearing the sound of my voice. Then she raises an eyebrow and smiles, placing her hands on her hips. 

"Well, James. Isn't it nice to see you today," she says. She looks past me and down at Riley who was probably feeling a little overwhelmed due to all the stares she was receiving. 

I place my hand on her back, rubbing it in a circular motion. "You don't have room for two more, do you?" I speak up. 

Hunter smirks, looking over Riley with devious eyes but I knew it was just him teasing. He would never touch or even think of hurting a girl. It's just his front. Deep down, he's a total softie.

Michelle had a soft smile on her face and sooner or later, West and Eldon mirror her expression as they look at Riley, probably identifying her as the girl from the photos I had taken. I had to warn them not to say anything. We couldn't risk Riley getting kicked off the team if we even do make it onto the team. 

"I don't see why not. There are two spots left after all," Kate replies.

Looking around the room, I try to view everyone's reactions but one stood out to me in particular. The glare on Beth's face right now was not one that would have made Riley feel comfortable at all and I just had to hope she wasn't about to stir up more unnecessary drama for this team.