50. | Riley

This chapter is a tad bit longer compared to the others so get comfortable!

I came here every morning of my birthday, no matter how old I turned, but I wasn't expecting to find Hunter here too. No one ever came here, especially not on my birthday.

People from North Side never came here, at least. They understood the meaning of privacy and didn't dare to step foot in the premises of the graveyard when it was closed off for personal reasons designated to my family.

But that was no longer the case. There was no North Side anymore. It was Millie Gardens. There were no restrictions, no premises closed off to certain people. Everyone was free to do what they'd like and as much as I agree to that, we were all still adjusting and it would definitely take some getting used to.

They had only just buried Hunter's sister's body a matter of days ago. They placed her right in the middle of Mum and Hunter's father, and as I stand in front of the three graves I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if Mum and Dad got divorced.

What would it be like if Hunter and I became family? If Millie became my younger sister?

I know Hunter and Emily have something going on between them but that wouldn't have been the case if our mother and his father became a proper couple.

"I'm sorry," Hunter breathes out as he stood beside me.

I continue looking down and out of the corner of my eye, I catch his thumbs twiddling over his knuckles. His fists were clenched tightly and as soon as I see it, I sigh. He and I couldn't be more different but somehow so alike.

I take a step towards him before placing my hand on top of his. He looks down at me and my hand as it rested against his, then after letting out a small exhale, his fist unclenches and allows his palm to find its way to becoming joined with mine.

I don't say a word, too-focused on my presence in front of Mum. What would she think of me now? Would she be proud of me? Would she still love me the way she used to?

I miss her so much... I just wish she was here with me.

"I'm sorry for everything, Riley," he whispers. His voice was shaky and I could tell he was on the verge of crying.

After losing all three of his family members, it was bound to be the case. I only lost one piece of my heart and I feel broken. I can't imagine how Hunter must feel.

"I fucked up," he breathes out angrily. "Why won't you yell at me? Why won't you just put me in that fucking den. I deserve it, Riley. I fucking deserve it," he continues to aggravate himself.

I shake my head, squeezing his hand to calm him down and slow down his levels of ranting.

This wasn't his fault. Even without Hunter's input, a second feud and riot was going to happen regardless. I could sense it.

Mum warned me before she passed away. I had no idea what she was talking about back then but she always told me to stand my ground. To be brave. To fight away the bad. She knew what she was talking about and back then I wish I knew the same.

"It's not your fault, Hunter," I whisper to him. "James is your closest friend. He's like family to you. You'd do anything to make sure nothing happened to him and so would I," I whisper.

I wasn't lying. I would die just to keep James safe. Mum did...

"You weren't sure if you could trust me. You had every right to feel that way based on my dad's past. I understand, okay?" I tell him softly, but I don't think any amount of reasoning was going to cause him to budge.