| CHAPTER 17 |

The courtroom was tense, the air thick with anticipation

The courtroom was tense, the air thick with anticipation. Lawyers sat on either side, flipping through papers, preparing for the next move, while the judge watched with a composed but stern expression. The jury sat still, eyes focused, taking in every word. Everyone's attention was split between you and Namjoon, the two opposing forces in this case. The soft shuffle of papers and the occasional cough were the only sounds breaking the otherwise heavy silence.

Namjoon stood up with a confident smirk, addressing the court. "My lord, from my findings, a man named Byun Baekho doesn't even work in the Kim warehouse," he declared, as if he had delivered the final blow.

His eyes shot to you, full of certainty, as though daring you to counter. But instead of flinching, you responded with a slow, knowing smile. "Tsk tsk, Mr. Kim, still that overconfident?" you said smoothly, returning his smirk with one of your own.

Namjoon's face faltered slightly, his brows knitting together in confusion. H-how...? The thought raced through his mind as he struggled to comprehend how you seemed so unfazed by his statement.

The courtroom watched intently, sensing the brewing battle between two sharp minds.

8 hours earlier

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be jolted awake from a sweet dream by a sudden splash of cold water?

Jackson shot up in his bed, heart racing, his mind racing to catch up with reality. "What the fu—" he began, but the words were cut off as you quickly pressed a hand over his mouth.

"Shh..." you whispered urgently, finger to your lips to silence him.

He glanced over at his girlfriend, Ziona, who was blissfully unaware, still deep in her sleep.

"Y/N, what the hell?!" Jackson hissed, his eyes wide with confusion and irritation.

You couldn't help but stifle a laugh at his disheveled state, hair sticking up in every direction. "I needed you awake, and this was the quickest way!"

He shot you a look, half annoyed and half amused, but it was clear he was still processing what had just happened. 

You gave him a sweet smile, knowing full well he was on the verge of snapping.

Without warning, Jackson grabbed your wrist and dragged you into the lobby, away from Ziona's sleeping form.

"What?!" he practically shouted, his voice echoing off the walls.

"Yah, don't yell at me!" you replied with a pout, but quickly cringed at yourself for doing that.

"Y/N, what's this about, in the middle of the night?" He was serious now, his eyes narrowing.

"Byun Baekho's death case," you said, matching his serious tone.

"And what about it, Miss Min?" His voice had an edge. You could tell he was pissed—understandably so.