Chapter 8

- Sky - 

Sky sat at a table in the backstage area where the caterers had set up dinner and watched as Johnny came over with another plate full of food. Sky didn't get it. He could never eat that much only a few hours before a show. He'd be stuck on a couch for the rest of the night. Sky shook his head at his friend, "You're unbelievable. What will Annie say if the outfits don't fit tonight?"

Johnny just smiled as his mouth was too full to reply.

"Was there anything else on Connie's list before we need to get ourselves ready?" Nash asked between bites.

Mateo took out a piece of paper from his pocket and unfolded it. "Let's see. Lunch between twelve and one." He read silently for a moment before laughing.

"What?"

"Connie put in the schedule that Johnny needs to take a dump at three to be able to fit in his clothes!"

"What?! Let me see that!" Johnny snatched the paper from Mateo and after a glance at it, he crumpled the paper and tossed it back. "Fuck you!"

Everybody at the table laughed at Johnny's reaction. They all knew that Connie wouldn't write that down, but they were also pretty sure she wouldn't have any issues about saying it.

"Well, there's not anything else to do but relax until it's showtime. Mateo shrugged and leaned back.

"Speaking of Connie. I haven't seen her since this morning. Anyone knows how she's doing?" Sky looked around the table, but no one answered. He hadn't heard of any problems, so he hoped that she wasn't stressing too much.

As if his thoughts had conjured her, a door opened, and Connie walked in. She was wearing a pencil skirt with a blood-red blouse tucked in and black heels that made her hips move in a to seductive sway for his peace of mind. Her hair was made in a half updo to keep the hair from her eyes and in her arms, she was wearing a clipboard.

Kyle spoke before Sky was able to. "Connie! Everything alright?"

She gave him a smile, "I think so. I'm just trying to find someone who could get all the laundry to the cleaners after the show. The guy I hired called in sick. Not the best day to get the stomach flu." She grimaced.

A woman who sat at the table behind them turned around and offered, "I can do that if you want."

"Thank you, Marie, you're an angel! As a thank you; I will make sure you have a red velvet trifle waiting when you are done. That's your favorite, right?"

"Oh, yes! Thank you, Connie!" The woman, whose name apparently was Marie turned back to her table and Connie focused back on them.

"I was going to ask you, what do you want to eat after the show?"

"It's the first show of the tour Connie." Johnny smiled, "We are going out to celebrate later. We'll eat there."

"You're joining us, right?" Mateo asked but Connie shook her head.

"Can't. My job isn't over when the show ends..."

"Oh, come on, you deserve a break." Johnny objected.

"Maybe next time." Connie started to walk away but turned and frowned down at Johnny's plate and then at him. "Don't forget to take a shit or Annie will kill you."

Sky choked on the coke he was drinking as he joined the others in laughter. When he finally caught his breath, Connie had already left.

Eight hours later Sky walked off stage, feeling as if he was on top of the world. He had been reminded of why he loved singing so much. To see the huge crowd who had gathered to listen to the band sing was empowering to say the least. They walked back to the dressing room, stopping and talking to everyone they met on the way. Connie was waiting outside with a big smile on her face and Sky got a sudden urge to hold her in his arms. When he got close enough, he sprinted and picked her up, spinning her around and her laughter made him warm inside. He reluctantly released her, and Connie followed them inside the dressing room.

"Okay, so, I'm gonna go fangirl on you for a moment so just bear with me!" She squealed and Sky laughed at the joy clearly visible on her face. She was adorable. "That was amazing! I have never been to a concert before and I could never have imagined the feeling the crowd radiated! You guys are so awesome! Your voices—" She did a happy twirl before she continued, "It's just, it was... Mind-blowing!"

"Hold on, are you telling us that you've never been to one of our shows before today?" Kyle asked

"First concert at all, really. Never had the money or time for it."

"And you spent your first ever concert backstage?! That will not do, next show I want you front and center."

Connie giggled at Kyle's statement and waved it away, "I've already promised Fiona to be in the golden circle with her in Dublin so don't worry, I'll get to see the show from the other side as well."

She gave a deep sigh and then collected herself, "Fangirl moment over. I know you are going out tonight, but I need you to be in my room at eleven tomorrow morning. We are checking out at twelve so you might want to get ready before that, okay?"

They gave her a collected sigh but nodded. "Are you sure you don't want to join us? It'll be fun." Mateo tried again but just as before Connie shook her head.

"I have a few things that I need to sort out and I'm also going to call Jackie, give her an update, and see how her mother's surgery went. But have fun!" She headed to the door and just before she left, she reminded them, "See you at eleven!"

They jumped into the showers and soon enough, they entered the backdoor of a nightclub that one of the local stage crew had recommended. Tom had already looked over the security and talked with the owner, setting up a table for them. On the table stood a big cooler with several bottles of beer in it, just as they wanted.

Sky was a few bottles deep, when the busty blond he had been talking with, to be polite, started to nibble his ear. He rose to his feet so fast that the woman dropped the wine glass she was holding, making it splash over everyone's feet. Another woman squealed and Nash stood up, catching a swaying Sky.

"You okay?" He shouted to be heard over the music. Sky shook his head but regretted it immediately as the room began spinning. If Nash hadn't already been holding his arm, he was sure he would have crashed over the table.

"I think it might be time for you to go to bed, my friend." Nash patted him on his shoulder and signaled for one of the bodyguards to come forward. The man, Sky thought his name was Joe or maybe Joey, took Sky's arm and placed it over his shoulder, steadying him as he led him to a waiting car in the back. Sky was happy he hadn't seen any paparazzi lurking around. He wouldn't want this moment to be captured and go viral. It probably wasn't a pretty sight. The man's voice was deep as he talked to the driver, "Take him to the hotel. If there are any issues, take it with Henry, he's on duty there." The driver nodded and drove off as soon as the door closed. It had been one hell of a night, Sky thought as he focused on not throwing up.