Chapter 13

- Connie -

Connie guided Fiona through the corridors of the arenas backstage area and was proud of herself that she only asked one person they had met so far, how the crew had handled her duties during the day. It had been really nice having the day off. She and Fiona had begun with breakfast at their favorite coffee shop and then headed out for some shopping. She had found out that shopping and not looking at the tags was even more difficult than she had believed. In the end, she had chosen a simple black dress with long sleeves and a plunging back. She had refused new shoes as she knew that would only bring pain after being on her feet all night.

They had met with Connie's boss Grace for lunch where she had demanded all the juicy stories. Connie had kept a lot from her. She couldn't possibly tell her about Sky. But she talked about what she did each day and how nice everyone was. It felt good to meet Grace again. Connie hadn't realized how much she missed her, but working together for the last three years, had created a bond between them. They had invited her to join them at the spa where they enjoyed a few glasses of sparkling wine. A few hours of pampering before heading to the venue had made her good. The concert itself had been more than she could ever have dreamed of.

Connie pushed Fiona through a door and stumbled in after her and was greeted by loud cheers by her colleagues. She smiled as she accepted two bottles of beer from Marie. She introduced Fiona to the few people she hadn't already met in the past few days and then sat down at one of the small tables placed around the room.

A man in a pair of black skinny jeans and a black t-shirt walked over to them and it took Connie a second to recognize him. "Michael!" He leaned over and kissed her cheeks before straightening and grasping Fiona's hand in both of his as Connie introduced him to her. "Fiona, this is Michael. He will be shooting the Volt's new music video next weekend."

"Well, that depends." He gave Fiona's hand a light kiss before he released it and joined them at the table.

Connie stiffened. "Depends on what?"

"If we have any good ideas at the meeting tomorrow. The original plans were thrown out the window when the location changed. Michael shook his head and Connie patted his arm soothingly."

"We'll think of something."

"What song is it?" Fiona asked

"It's called I've gotta find you."

"Don't think I've heard of it, who's it by?"

"It's an old country song by Lonestar," Connie answered her as she opened YouTube on her phone and plugged in her headphones. "I don't have the Volt's version, but here you have the original."

Fiona started to listen and stiffened, then she relaxed and looked thoughtful. A few moments later she played the song again, but with her eyes closed and she made some interesting facial expressions.

Connie realized that Michael was watching her with fascination, and she felt the need to explain what Fiona was doing. "She does this every time she hears a new song. She says that she visualizes the music." Michael nodded as if he understood exactly what she meant, and with his job he might be the first one who actually did, she thought.

Fiona gave them a big smile as she removed the headphones and gave back Connie's phone. "Okay so, I know I don't have any say in your little meeting tomorrow, but do you want to know my thoughts?"

"Yes, I do." Michael seemed genuinely interested and Fiona's smile grew even bigger. "I'm thinking that the song is about a dream girl, and the lyrics say that he sees her even if he's awake. So how about a world where dream and reality float together? I see a big bed with golden sheets on top of a hill with a beautiful landscape in the background, maybe a castle ruin to walk around in. Tiny white feathers falling like snow."

"Feathers?" Michael asked curiously and Fiona nodded,

"To amplify the dream-feeling. And the woman should be... I'm not sure. She should be something special and unique, not really fitting in the image but that's what would make it perfect, you know? Like a goddess!"

Connie stiffened. Why a goddess? What was her friend up to?

Michael looked confused as well and scratched his chin. "A goddess?"

"Yes! It wouldn't make any sense but that's the best part! Dreams don't always make sense! Wait, let me show you!" Fiona picked up her bag, set it on the table, and started to rummage around, looking for something. She leaned closer to Connie and spoke low so that only she would hear. "You trust me, right?"

Connie frowned. I'm not so sure when you say it like that..."

Fiona rolled her eyes. "You know I would never do anything that could hurt you? That sometimes I know what you should or shouldn't do before you do?"

"Well, yes... You are starting to scare me Fi."

"Oh, here it is," Fiona spoke louder now, directing her attention back to Michael as she withdrew her phone. She tapped a few times on the screen and then handed it to him.

He nodded, "This is gorgeous! I think I understand what you mean now."

Connie leaned forward to see the picture showing on the phone and she almost choked. It was a picture of Connie that Fiona had taken on Halloween. She was wearing her goddess outfit and was standing next to a tree as they had walked through a park on their way to the club. In the background, there were ordinary people. An old man selling hotdogs, a woman walking her dog. With the light from a nearby streetlamp reflecting the gold details of her outfit, she really stood out from the picture, it looked as if she didn't belong. She truly did love that photo.

Michael sighed and gave the phone back, "I really like the idea, but with only a week left until we start shooting, it can be difficult to find an actress and the outfit—"

"You're in luck." Fiona interrupted, grinning, "This" — She shook her phone at him — "is Connie!"

Michael glanced between the phone and her for a moment before asking her. "Do you have the outfit?"

"Well, y-yes..." Connie stuttered. Her heart was racing.

"And you're willing to be in the video?"

"What?! No—"

"Of course she's willing! It's just that she's a bit shy. If you promise not to tell anyone that it's Connie behind the mask, she'll do it!" Connie didn't have time to reply before the doors opened up and the guys walked in.