Chapter 12

- Sky -

"I'm putting my trust in you, Fiona." Sky said as he handed her his credit card. When Connie was about to protest for the hundredth time, he ignored her and continued. "I mean it! Do not let her look at the price tags at all!" He thought the way Connie was fuming next to him was adorable and had to fight a smile.

Fiona, however, didn't even try to hide her grin, "Sure thing!"

"I'm not doing it!" Connie was actually stomping her foot but stopped as Nash hugged her from behind.

"Yes, you are! We all know how hard you work every day and you deserve a little pampering on your day off.

Mateo chimed in. "A massage, a new dress for the night, and dinner. Doesn't that sound great?"

"I can pay for myself," Connie muttered, and Sky couldn't hold back his smile any longer,

"Oh come on sweetheart, please let us do this for you." He could see her resistance softening. "It is your first concert and we just want this to be the perfect day."

Her walls crumpled, "Oh buggers, fine! I'll go spend your money!"

"That's my girl!" He noticed that her muscles tensed a bit, but she didn't comment on his statement, so he continued as if it hadn't been nerve-racking to say it out loud. "We don't want to see you on set until after the show, okay?"

Connie seemed to have gone mute and only nodded but Fiona sure wasn't. As she grabbed Connie's arm and started to drag her towards the door she simply said. "She's my girl tonight!" And then they were gone.

***

At lunchtime, Sky and the others were exhausted. With a lot of help from the crew and Connie's lists, they had been able to get Connie's job done without any major hiccups and without having to call her once. They had to call Jackie though, but she hadn't complained. She had been pleased to see that everyone in the crew liked Connie enough to offer their help. Sky had always known that Jackie's job was hectic, but Connie never looked too worried, so to realize exactly how much work they put in each day was eye-opening and he was glad that they had them. He was pretty sure that no one in the crew wanted to do this again. He pushed away the now empty plate in front of him and turned to Kyle who was in charge of Connie's schedule. "Is everything set up for the rest of the day?"

Kyle glanced down at the papers in front of him and nodded. "Yep, our part is done."

"Thank God! I'm beat..." Johnny exclaimed and rested his forehead against the table. "Do I have time for a nap?"

Sky wanted to laugh at him, but the truth was that he felt the same way.

"You sure do go through a whole lot of trouble for Connie," Amelia said as she took a seat at the table.

Nash looked up at her. "Well yeah. She's our friend and we wanted her to enjoy her first concert to the fullest."

"Her first? She's never been before?" Amelia frowned as she spoke. "And she is working as a tour manager for one of the biggest bands active today? Who did she have to sleep with for that to happen?"

The question was supposed to be humorous, but Sky could hear the salty tone and he stiffened. Before he could defend Connie however, Mateo did, "No one! She's good at what she does."

Amelia rolled her eyes and muttered, "Yeah right."

Sky was just about to ask what the hell her problem was when he felt Johnny's hands on his shoulders, squeezing a warning to stay calm, "We should go, got a lot to do before tonight." Sky knew that for the lie it was, but Amelia didn't.

"See! That's what I mean. She got you twisted around her pinky and it ain't right. You guys are the boss of her, not the other way around."

"This has nothing to do with that. Connie has become a good friend and we're helping her so she could have a nice night." Nash said as he stood.

Amelia gave him a look. "Exactly. But she should be working and earning her paycheck just like the rest of us. Why should we do her job as well?"

Sky had heard enough, but another squeeze of his shoulder made him bite his tongue. Instead, he got up and headed for the door.

"Are you having fun tonight Dublin?!" Sky shouted into his microphone and the crowd roared their reply. The stage crew was placing a leather sofa on the stage for the next song and he tried not to be in the way as the band walked around the stage, making small talk as they waited.

Johnny pointed out a sign, "I think you need a bigger sign, love; I can't read it!"

"There's nothing wrong with the sign, it's your eyes!" Kyle teased.

In the corner of his eyes, Sky could see the crew disappear from the stage and knew it was time to continue.

Kyle had noticed too and was already heading that way. "I think you are going to like this one. It's one of my favorites." He picked up the guitar that the crew left for him and sat down. The others soon joined him, and Kyle continued, "Released in 1991 by Mr. Big and the first song I learned to play on my guitar back home in my bedroom, this is; To be with you."

Sky looked out at the sea of dancing lights in the crowd. It was more likely people using the flashlight on their phones than actual lighters, but the sight was beautiful, nonetheless. He started to sing as soon as Kyle started his chords. As he was about to join the others in singing the chorus for the second time, he saw her. Amongst thirteen thousand people, Connie stood, smiling at him. The sight made his heart feel full and the lyrics he sang had never felt so right, "I'm the one who wants to be with you. Deep inside I hope you feel it too. Waited on a line of greens and blues, just to be the next to be with you." He could feel the words flow through him as he stared at Connie. And he meant every word he sang.