Secrets Out

My mum had yelled at me once I'd gotten home that night,  but I managed to escape it with nothing but a warning. As I pulled up outside the Wheelers the next morning I saw a sad looking Mike staring out his window. I jumped as Nancy opened the door and skunk into the seat.

"What's up with Mike? I asked her.

"Oh he found out about Will."

The car fell into a long silence as the two of us went into thought. Will had been missing for a few days now and the Police had been sending out search parties for him.

"Did you have a good time last night" Nance finally talked, breaking the silence.

"What do you mean?" I  asked, obviously confused. The horror that had gone on last night didn't seem like something I'd enjoy.

"You seemed to be close with Steve"

"Oh, Nance" I sighed "I was just scared, nothings going on"

"Cool" She nodded, the strong hint of jealousy bit at me like a snake. She slammed the car door and walked into school.
______

After a while I walked in and  noticed Nancy was holding her head down to the floor. I decided not to ask.

"Hey" Steve smirked at her, as she reached her locker.

"Hi" she whispered, awkwardly still continuing to look at the floor.

He glanced to me for help but I shook my head and shrugged.

____

Nancy still needed a ride home so I took her to my car.

"Hold on!" Nancy called to me as she stopped at a pay phone and started dialling.

"Who are you calling?" I asked

"Barb, I haven't seen her all day"

"Oh I thought she wasn't in" I shrugged

"Hello Mrs Holland, it's Nancy. Yes. How are you. I'm just calling to confirm that Barb came home last night? What? Oh sorry I meant this morning" she paused and looked around.

"Mhm yes sorry for bothering you" She sniffed before hanging up the phone.

"She didnt come home from the party" Nancy sniffled, "what if something happened to her"

"Nance you're overeacting she's probably just..." I sighed. I don't know. 

__________

I got home earlier than usual so I sat on the sofa with my mother. We flinched as the door was flung open and slammed.
"Dustin??" I called out, following him to his room.

"What's wrong?"

"Why didn't you tell me" I heard a small voice cry out.

Immediately I knew what he meant and sighed

"Dustin..."

"He's not sick"

"We were going to tell you eventually Dusty..." Our mothers voice reassured.

I left, deciding it was best for her to explain this all to him. To be completely honest, I'm not sure how he didn't find out sooner. His friends all did.

As I sat back in the living room a glint of car headlights caught my eye from the window. I got up and made my way to the door.
Getting out of his car was none other than Steve himself.

"Steve?" I called out. "What are you doing here?"

He made his way up to the house and handed me the bat.

"You left this "he said taking his time to place it in my hand. "Oh and I cleaned the blood off it don't worry"

" thankyou" I said smiling. I could clearly tell he was nervous. I then noticed the dried blood from last night was gone but left pale scars on his face. "alright well-"

"Y/n"

"Mhm?"

"I was wondering if you could help me."

That's how I started tutoring Steve. We both knew that if he didn't improve soon he probably wasn't going to make it to college, and this scared him, he didn't want his father to be ashamed of him. I sat on the edge of my bed, him on the floor leaning against my door. I didn't realise how long we'd been at it until all the lights had gone off. He thanked me and I walked him out to his car.

"Don't mention it, we can carry on next week" I told him, looking around with my arms wrapped around me.

"Yea thanks, and can we just not mention it to Nance, you know how she gets." he asked.

"Oh uhm, sure" I said waving as he drove off into the horizon.

I stuck my head around Dustin's door, feeling bad about what had gone on earlier, and as I entered my room again I was greeted by the smell of Steve's cologne. Great, he's gonna be in my head all night.