You like me?

The dogs had passed, the tunnels lay silent and all that could be heard were the heavy pants from me and Steve.

"Holy shit" I gasped, exhaling loudly.

"Yea..." He let me go. "What was that for, we could've died!"

"I wasn't gonna let you die alone!" 

Steve raised his eyebrow before his face relaxed into a small smile.

"GUYS COME ON!" Mike yelled.

Me and Steve made our way up the rope, and after checking everyone was alright, loaded everyone back into the car. Steve was now driving and all the kids were piled into the back seats chatting. 

"You didn't want me to die alone huh?" Steve spoke, we had been sat in silence ever since we had got in the car.

"Of course not. You're like... my best friend" I said, sounding a bit unsure towards the end.

"Mhm" He grunted, shifting to hold the wheel with one hand and put his spare on my knee. "Look as convincing as that was, I think we both know that's not the real reason." He smirked, looking over his shoulder to check the kids weren't eavesdropping. 

"What do you mean" I blushed, looking over to him.

"Look," He hesitated. "I like you a lot y/n, and I know we're not that close but I'd really like to be. And I don't mean just like, like y'know I really-" 

"I like you too" I cut him off, a smile on my face. His face lit up, "but what about you and Nancy, don't you still want to fight for her? Maybe you're just confused and-"

"No, screw Nancy y'know, she likes Jonathan ,has for a long time I think I was just too naive to notice. We never really worked and I don't think we ever would." He stared into the road, his gaze averting back to me. The kids fell silent and so did we, all of us sitting waiting to get back to the Byers house. 

________________

Steve pulled into the drive and we saw that everyone else had made it back safely. The kids all piled out of the car leaving me and Steve.

"Lets hang out more okay? Get to know each other better" I smiled, squeezing his hand.

"Yea" He smiled, I jumped out of the car and waved to him before he reversed out and drove into the distance. I watched his car lights slowly fade away, a huge smile on my face.

I heard a wolf whistle behind me and turned around to see Dustin and Lucas with massive grins on their face giggling.

"Oh shut up." I rolled my eyes. "Lets get you home Dustin its past your bedtime" I teased signalling him to the car.

"No it's not!" He whined, as his friends laughed.

"Bye Dustin" Mike yelled, Me and Dustin waved to everyone as we pulled out the drive back home. 

Sorry for the short chapter everyone! Thankyou to those who are still reading though :))