The Elders

A/N: Hey everyone! Sorry I hadn't updated in literally forever. I truly apologize. I probably lost some readers, but it's okay I guess. I just wanna finish this story for y'all and myself because who wants an incomplete story?

Oh yeah and just one quick note. I imagine the Elders to be quite cult like so yeah.

"What are you doing here? How are you even here right now?!" Clary sobbed as she pulled me into her room. It was still the same as it was before I disappeared. Her paintings on the wall. Art supplies scattered on the floor. But there was a significant change to it too. Like the scent in the air. It no longer smelt of paint, but of roses. kinda like Jocelyn. I wonder how long it's been for her since she picked up a brush?

"You've changed," I whispered. She really did. A lot. She had bags under her eyes and her hair was a lot longer, almost down to her bum. It looked wilder too. There were curls everywhere. She almost reminds me of Merida from Brave. Except she just looked older and she freckles aren't as prominent as before.

"You too." She smiled, wrapping her arms around my waist. I returned the hug without a second thought. God, it was good to see her again. To just feel something familiar. Normal. With her I can feel like the old Simon again. Before the craziness happened.

"I missed you a lot. It's hard not having your best friend a bus ride away." she sighed, untangling herself from me and leading me to her bed. We sat down in heavy silence before she spoke. "Okay, now you have to tell me what's wrong."

...

Isabelle's POV

It was a long drive to get to where the Elders were. Eleven hours to be exact. We were driving to Chicago to where my family is from. It's been so long since I've been to the old estate. I can still remember the anxiety I always felt when I lived here. Everyday I had at least one panic attack. And panic attacks were no fun. And it was all because of the Elders.

The Elders.

They were all literally ancient. I think they're one of the hidden secrets my family has. To be honest, I don't even know how old they are. There were about six of them. I knew that they were from generations ago, sticking around to make sure that the traditions in my fucked up family didn't die. It all had to be obeyed or else bad fortune would come to the future families. At least that's what our parents told us. My mother said that someday Alec and I would be replacing one of them. It's like they wait for the right pair to come along before they let themselves die. It's too creepy.

Once we arrived to the estate, I was led to the room I'd be staying at. It was very stuffy and cold. I felt the anxiety creep up again. I just want to go home.

"Isabelle?" I looked up to see Alec at the door way. He smiled as he walked in. His hair was a tousled mess, and a lot lighter than I had remembered. Instead of the usual jet black, it had turned to a lighter brown. Sometimes I forget that it's been two years since we last saw each other. I should make more of an effort to hang out with him, but what happened the other night still creeped in the back of my mind whenever I saw him. It was very unsettling.