Chapter 4 - "Why are you here?"

We finish getting everything we need and meander home. I can't help wondering where I have seen that blonde boy. I must look like a fish because Thea turns around and throws a pebble at me. "Earth to Ruby, come in Ruby. What are you daydreaming about?" I smile and then giggle, "Hehe, more like who..." Thea rolls her eyes at me and groans. "Yay, just what I need; you getting all love sick over some guy you just met." I throw a "whatever" at her and bolt inside with the bags. The bike is thrown to the ground and forgotten.

Later that night, Thea and I watch tv. Ahh, the stupidity of this show. Sooner than I had hoped, it is bedtime. I go to my room and get changed into loose pants and a singlet top. I climb into bed and access the situation of Estella's disappearance and the connection between me and Callum. I can't seem to keep my train of thought straight so I give up and close my eyes and let sleep take me under.

Hours later, I awakened by the cold air blowing in from my window. I sit up to close it. A hand wraps around my mouth and my scream becomes muffled. I am pushed flat on my back on my bed. I am too scared to open my eyes to see who my attacker is. I eventually do as I am curious. I open my eyes to the most gorgeous eyes on a guy staring down at me, grinning, "Hey Rue." He used my childhood name! "How are you, my little bird?" I stutter but still manage to get the words out. "Uh Callum, why are you here? How did you know where I am?" He grins at me and strokes my cheek, "Hmm, your so pretty. And the answer to both your questions is: We are connected." I blush then shake my head. "Callum, can you tell me what you want? Cause I was kinda enjoying a dream about milo." He gets up off my bed and offers his hand. "Ruby, would you do the honour of being my partner in crime for the night? I will let you sing to your hearts content if you do!" I take his hand and agree. I think of Thea and what she will think if she finds out. What she doesn't know, won't hurt her. Callum turns behind me and puts a mask on me, "You will need this, my songbird, my little Nightingale." I pull on a pair of jeans and my black sweater. "Let's go!" I say, grabbing his hand and jumping out of the window and into the shadows with my Shadow Knight.