Chapter 5 - It pays to be a Criminal

Callum, or Shadow Knight, refers to me as Nightingale, which I like as we run down the streets together, robbing shops along the way. I also come across a bank. Shadow Knight hands me four ninja stars and a mini crossbow that we nicked from the weaponry shop. "I know how great you are with these guys. But since you've always wanted to test out the crossbow, I think you should have it." He gives me a crooked grin and I reach up and kiss him on the cheek. "Thank you," I tell him. I pick the locks, a skill I have picked up with my troubled youth. The door unlocks. We sneak in and walk to the vault. It is a steel monstrosity but there has to be bucket loads of money in there so I'm game. I need the money anyway. Shadow Knight pulls a bazooka out of thin air and attacks the vault. Call... I mean Shadow Knight stuffs the money in a backpack and I grab a nice wad of money and stuff it down my bra. We laugh then close the vault. We walk outside and I lock the door, making it look like nothing has happened from the outside. He grabs my hand and we run off.

The sun is half an hour off rising when Callum walks me home. Was that just a date? Are we a thing? Callum wraps his arm around me, "Yes Ruby, we are a thing." I look at him bewildered. "How did you kn-", I am cut of as he faces me and wraps his arms around my waist, "Because we are one, you and I. I will love you always." He goes to kiss me but I sneeze. We giggle and he helps me up into my room. Before he leaves the room, I grab his wrist, "When will I see you again?" He turns to me and says, "When you want me, think of me with you, and I will come. But don't worry, we'll always be together, in here," pointing at my heart. He turns back to the window and jumps into the night, disappearing into the shadows. I sigh and pull down the window. I flop into the bed and remove the wad of money from my bra and stuff it under my pillow. That was one heck of a night, now I'm gonna make a sandwich.