SEVEN: Echo

Life seemed to come to a halt after that. Not much happened in class. Nothing happened during patrol. No leads came up on our case. Even quirk training got repetitive. Vlad Sensei decided we should review fundamentals and go back to the basics so we could further develop our control over parts of our quirks we may have forgotten about. So for two weeks, we practiced agility, pushing our limits, raw strength, and mental strength. For two weeks the case had no developments. For two weeks, my life was less than average. That was until I got a call.

Now, normally during class, I kept all notifications turned off, except those from Rock Lock. So when my phone rang, as I was working, I answered it.

"Hello?"

"You need to come down here. Now." The call was short and the line went dead. I left my bag and Erushi ran with me to the office, as fast as we could.

We changed as soon as we got inside and went up to his office. The door was locked and there was a note on the door.

"All it says is "Apt. 16." What does it mean?" Erushi took the paper off the door and I grabbed her hand."

"We need to go." I dragged her to the building we were surveying. "A few weeks ago we were staking-out this building. A low class villain was seen going in and meeting Dabi on the 8th floor. "Apt 16," is where they were meeting. Apartment 16"

As soon as I finished explaining, someone grabbed my arm and pulled us into the alley, putting a hand over my mouth.

"Echo, it's just me." Rock Lock spoke and let go of me. "Shadow, nice to see you again." I fixed my blindfold over my eyes.

"You too sir." Erushi said.

"(L/n), here is your earpiece. We have the building surrounded. Zookeeper is up there, and we expect Dabi to be arriving any minute. I want you to take her out while we take care of Dabi. Understood?" I nodded. "Shadow, you will join them. Keep me updated and let me know if anything goes wrong. Go!"

With that Eru and I entered the complex and took the stairs up to the room. Once we got to the 8th floor Rock Lock spoke. "Wait for my signal to go into the room, for now just wait at the end of the hall."

I didn't respond and we closed the door as quietly as possible. I activated my quirk to make sure that Zookeeper was still in the apartment. She seemed to be looking out a window, phone in hand. Another body enters the room. A child. Erushi tapped my shoulder.

"What did you see?" she asked.

"She is there, but looking out the window. Probably waiting for him to arrive and keeping watch." I spoke into the earpiece so the Pro could hear as well. "There is a child with her." Erushi stilled beside me and her hand gripped mine harder. I heard Rock Lock curse softly.

"Be careful. No casualties." he said firmly.

"What's our plan?" Erushi whispered.

"I say we try to get closer and figure out all exits, and how to get the child to safety. That is our first priority. After that we will take care of Zookeeper." I kept my voice hushed and we treaded carefully towards the apartment. I activated my quirk again and checked for doors, locks and windows. The child was curled up on the couch, shaking, as if they were crying. The female villain tapped her foot, seeming inpatient. "They are in the main room, with 1 bedroom and a bathroom to the right of them. One window in the bedroom, the other in the main room. The kitchenette and living room, separated by the counter, make up the main room. Not many spaces to hide. From previous patrols, I know that there is no fire escape along the side of the building so exiting from a window is a last resort option." Erushi listened as I spoke, and came up with our plan of action.