Prologue

Eight months prior...

Did Mateo mean it? It could have all been some silly and meaningless drunk confession... We have all been there. Saying, telling or confessing some deep stuff under the influence.

Unconsciously, I chewed on the skin of my bottom lip, only taking note of it when a metallic taste touched the tip of my tongue.

Distracted by the new taste, my eyes traveled through the room, catching the kids not doing their work. I inhaled, setting to do something about it, when I glanced at the screen of my phone, seeing the lesson was coming to an end either way.

Hence my thoughts dared to slip away farther, just like my students' minds were everywhere but in this classroom, I smacked my tongue, causing the kids to raise their heads and glare at me.

"If you silently pack up and leave on your tiptoes, you may go earlier into your break." The second my suggestion was made, they took it as an order and rushed outside one by one.

Within the blink of an eye the kids disappeared in a cloud of dust, allowing my lungs to release a deep breath and my hands to let go of one another. Loosely they hung down on my shoulders, dangling in the air, as if I was a lifeless doll.

Silence surrounded me and before it could offer my mind the opportunity to think freely, I grabbed my empty mug and gathered my keys and phone as well, before locking the door to my classroom behind me.

With jingling sounds, the keys sunk into the depths of my pocket. The metal sliding down the fabric of my pants.

The mug —which was not even mine, yet me using it didn't seem to upset anyone— was secured between three of my fingers and palm.

I couldn't quite make out whose mug it was, although my gaze was scanning every inch of the surface. A self-painted Milka cow was on one side and how else should it be? The rest of the surface was plane purple.

Even though only Tori eats that chocolate like it was some healthy green cabbage, it wasn't hers. Finding out about her little obsession didn't take me longer than two minutes, after entering her office, the day of my interview for this job.

A year ago... looking back, I took the post to make money in the easiest way, I thought. Working with kids made me forget about the past, present and the future all at once. At least for a while.

I took a turn and was about to walk into the teachers lounge, until someone almost ran into me. James. There was no need for me to see him. One could smell his floral parfum miles away.

A bright smile formed on his slim lips and the same sparkle hopped onto his soft, brown eyes. He wore his regular comfy appearing brown hoodie and underneath a white blouse, whose collar showed. Through his lashes he glared at me, like it was the highlight of his day to catch me in the doorway.

"Emem, you have a moment, don't you?" His sweet voice brought out and as his head shook slightly, his curls swayed, like it was a breeze sizzling by.

"I actually-" Meanwhile I was trying to give him an excuse, as to why I actually did not have a moment, I let him interrupt.

"Perfect. So, there's a new student and Tori wants you to take care of them." James explained, yet it didn't make quite a sense.

"This doesn't seem like a 'now-issue'." A frown plastered upon my forehead.

Four weeks ago, the new year had begun, so why would he tell me now? The kid would not possibly be here till half term, would it?

We rarely take in any newbies in an ongoing year. —A single one got in, in the middle of the year, since I arrived here.

"Babe, the child will be here in like five minutes." The man voiced, smiling.