~6. Bus ride and desire.~

"I think I shouldn't be lookin' in those eyes, why do they give me butterflies? Can't express how obsessed..." My fingers taped the steering wheel, whilst rounding a corner with the car and enjoying the music.

The song was currently playing nonstop in the car and just everywhere, meanwhile I headed somewhere. The grocery store, gas station or work, like in my case right now.

It had almost been a wonder I haven't grown tired of the song yet. For weeks I allowed the melody and lyrics to be absorbed by my body. Like a sponge my skin took it in, as if it was lotion. I almost bathed in the scent and its loveliness.

Deeply exhaling, I prepared myself to keep yelling along.

"I think I'm mentally cheating." My chin rose slightly, until the beat dropped, a wide smile decorating my face.

Eyes briefly wandering towards my passenger seat, I allowed my heartbeat to fasten. My backpack. Charger, phone, keys—

Like the apple in Snow White's throat, my gum caused me to cough. The air shot outside my mouth, along with the piece of gum, which landed in my lap. Like howling wind, I coughed, until the car came to a stop on the parking lot.

Redness had colored my eyes and the areas around them, yet there was no use in fixing it in the rear view mirror. Luckily I wore no makeup. So nothing could smear or smudge on my face.

All because of that damn key. My hand captured the surprisingly cold metal. One would mean it had to be burning hot, looking at the temperatures outside. We surely picked the most challenging week to go on the class trip... Nevertheless, I was glad to be away from home.

The surroundings, I've been supposed to call home nowadays, are not remotely close to that word. The meaning behind 'home' has not really caught my attention, until I realized that so many things were not making me feel like they were mine. My home.

The new keys, to the house Mateo had bought months ago, had been handed to me the morning I came home after he left me at the school. He knew what he did was not okay, so he decided we would move to have a fresh start.

What kind of apology was that even? Gosh, he had to take some classes in how to get along with women. That was fucked up. Sometimes Mateo is not quite sensitive, when I actually needed it. Like that day... a bit -just an ounce of it would have helped me through the day. Even— no, don't even think about it.

Yet he forgot and after I cleared that up the morning I returned, he felt bad, which made me feel bad. This was the endless circle.

A knock on my window, forced me to scream out loud. Flinging my head aside, I caught a smirking James glaring at me.

Fast I had exited and unloaded my luggage, whilst my colleague kept rambling about his hot weekend. The second "Babe, I've had such freaky sex" only welled over his lips, my ears shut down and god, I was so glad they did.

Another time hearing about anal was not my dream come true, at seven in the morning or ever really.

Only minutes later, James rambling was interrupted by himself, as we were standing not far away from the bus.

The man turned his head around, arms crossed, until the back of his hand touched my forehead. "Are you sick?"

Eyes widening in confusion. "Why...?"

"Not for once did you pull a disgusted face or mention how this was not meant to be shared. Babe, you gotta tell me what's going on." The brunette smiled devilishly. "Everything alright at home?"

At a loss of words, I remained silent for a moment. "Yeah—"

Cutting in, James gasped, his hands touching my shoulders. "Oh my god! I forgot you moved! Sorry again, I was busy... how is the new house?"