Chapter 12

The race the next day is a bit of a mess with 6 drivers DNFing. Luckily, I managed to avoid this although Alex didn't. Well, four DNFs, and Yuki and Mick couldn't start the race. I finished 13th, just above Stroll. All my positions just came from other people dropping out the race due to crashes. I finished more than 5 seconds behind Vettel. We changed to a two-stop due to the sheer number of safety cars that there were, and I went on a final sprint after Vettel, but couldn't minimise the gap enough. "P13," Rachel's voice came through at the end of the race.

"Fuck, shit, dick, god fucking dammit." I cried out in frustration, hitting the wheel lightly. There was just no pace in the car. "Sorry everyone, I-er yeah, this hurts a lot. I really wanted to do something magic this time round, but this wasn't the week, I guess. It'll come though; I believe in us. We just got to keep our heads down, and we will figure it out." I say back through the radio, trying to be positive to the team. "Progress was made, it might not feel like it, but it's definitely coming." I continue as I weave down the second half of the track, heading to park ferme and sitting at the very back. I got out immediately, wasting no time this time around. I had to be positive and lead the team. Small jokes here and there were fine, but I needed to be positive and help motivate everyone. I knew that. I took my helmet and balaclava off, along with the HANS system before going to get weighed. Running a sweaty hand through my hair and giving a smile to the people around me as I saw Lewis walk over to me while I waited in the queue to get weighed. "How'd you do grid buddy?" I said teasingly, we had a couple of battles in the first few laps, but he quickly lost me.

"P10," he replied glumly. My eyes widened. "I know." He said looking at my expression, "I couldn't get by the bloody HAAS. Stuck in a bloody DRS train." He moaned.

"Ooft, well at least you were fast enough to be in a DRS train!" I say as I give him a pat on the shoulder, and he laughs.

"I guess so but my back, Christ it hurts!" I nod knowingly, the porpoising was really painful.

"I hope we can figure it out by Baku, I don't fancy the straights there with the porpoising." I respond and he winces at the thought agreeing with me. It's finally my turn to get weighed and Lewis is kind enough to wait before we go over to where JC and Angela are chatting together. They say hi and take our helmets, passing us the much-needed water.

A couple of the Williams people are down at the end to see me, but most of them are back at the garage, already packing up. I see Jost and Mike stood waiting for me. I say goodbye to Lewis and walk over to them, giving them one armed hugs and such, consoling one another. Jost was apologetic when he spoke to me and I told him not to worry, suddenly feeling bad at all the jokes I had made at the cars expense. When I explained that I was only joking when I put the car down, he waved his hand.

"No, it's not good! We have to laugh or else we cry!" He exclaimed, trying to placate me. I think he thought of me as being more of a diva than I was, but I just smiled and left them. Olivia had come to take me over to the press immediately. Given that there was not much to feedback on from my side, we decided the debrief and team meeting could wait until Tuesday. I just nodded but asked for Olivia's phone so I could debrief quickly myself in my head. So, I just did that, probably looking like a loony as we walked down the paddock, taking breaks to sign things for fans.

When taking the first selfie I suddenly realised I didn't have a hat and oh my god, I looked awful! I glanced at Olivia; perfect she had one! "Olivia, please, please, please can I have your hat!" I begged and she laughed at my horrified expression and took hers off, passing it to me. "Much better," I sighed in relief and finally took the photo with the fan.

By the time we got to the media pen, all the interviewers were busy, so we just paused at the back of the pen waiting. I found out from a rundown by Olivia that Verstappen had come back to win rather dramatically by half a second. I gasped in surprise as she told me about the numerous safety car restarts chancing the Ferraris out of their win. After I had done my first couple of interviews, still waiting for more, Gasly came to join me in my position in the middle of the pen.