Chapter 21

Updates might slow down now because my deadline is approaching and I'm starting to get a little more stuck on next steps for the book so it is becoming a bit more of a struggle. Please let me know what you think.

This is a longer one!

****

Walking through the paddock the next morning, I was flying high. This time a matching beige linen trouser and button vest combination and tan heels. It was obviously paired with all gold Cartier jewellery with the announcement coming later today that they were a new sponsor for myself and the Williams team. My makeup was light and natural, and the neutral colours and relaxed fit of the clothes were to help with the heat and to show off the tan that I had been building from travelling around the world, as well as to help make the jewellery pop as I walked through the paddock. My hair was up in a low ponytail and curled slightly, so as to get nice photography shots that we could all use in the announcement. It didn't even matter that the rain was coming on and off as we walked under an umbrella.

I was smiling and chatting to JC and Olivia as we walked, the depressingly long walk down to the Williams garage. They were also wearing some Cartier pieces, although less flashy than mine, gifted by me as a thank you for dealing with my bullshit for the last few months. 

I stopped and signed a few fans caps once inside the paddock, before heading straight to the Williams motorhome to film my special edition helmet reveal and explanation. "Hi, guys." I said greeting all the staff who were sat having breakfast, getting several hellos back as I took a seat at a table with no one there. Olivia sat next to me, while JC went to grab me some 'on plan' food for breakfast. We were here extra early because I had extra media to do with the announcement as well as my helmet reveal. All before the first free practice. Olivia and I were chatting when someone tapped me on the shoulder, Talia and a guy I vaguely recognised.

"OMG Talia, hey!" I greeted her, standing up to give her a hug.

"Hi, Elodie, this is my boyfriend Simon." She says smiling.

"Nice to meet you." I smile and shake his hand, being the awkward turtle I am. "I feel like I recognise you, but I don't know where from." I explain awkwardly.

"Oh, er, I'm part of the Sidemen?" He offers me as an explanation, suddenly it hits me. 

"Ah, Sidemen, that makes sense for why Talia says you're normally with McLaren. Streaming." I nod to myself, as I half explain this to Olivia who just smiles at me amused.

"Thanks for having us, I'm excited to see a new garage." He says, and I nod.

"Might not be as glamorous as you're used to, but it's a comfy place to be!" I say enthusiastically, motioning for them to join us for food, they take seats next to us just as JC returns with my food and coffee. "Everything on the menu is fantastic, I just have to stay on plan", I say motioning to the food in front of me. They both just nod and join in our conversation about the day ahead and free practice. "Does Lando know that you're here?" I ask Simon, as I eat through my healthy food. 

"Nah, I didn't get round to telling him. You did awesome last night though," he says mentioning the performance and I laugh, my face going bright red. 

"Oh man, I haven't seen any of the videos, can't get myself to watch them! But it was awesome, if nothing else this weekend then I got to experience something cool and new." I say brightly and he nods back. "I'm learning that's the important thing week to week." I joke.

"Aye, but not for long right? You're Mercedes bound right?" He asks. I just tap a finger to my nose, shrugging.

"You never know in motorsport. There's a plan A, but also B, C, D, E etc. It's all based on performance and sadly but also happily, I don't think there is any space for me there right now, or any time soon." I say, alluding to the fact that I don't see Lewis retiring anytime soon. "Who's your favourite driver?" I ask curiously. He looks at me like he's worried it's a trick question. "Genuinely curious." I clarify.