Chapter 22

Please remember to vote and comment! Let me know what you think and any ideas you have!

This is a really long chapter, put yeah, I'm probably just going to do single updates for now as my dissertation is due in 10 days lol.

****

Free practice predictably did not go well. It was seriously raining, and the team didn't want to risk either me or Alex crashing out in the first session, so I spent the majority of the time with Rachel discussing strategy and going over the data that we already had on the car as well as the Grand Prix in general. At one point I decided to give Simon and Talia a more personal tour throughout the garage, however, that quickly attracted the attention of Ted Kravitz who pulled them into an interview, leaving Simon awkward when asked who his favourite driver was while I was standing right behind them, my smirk at his discomfort transformed into a genuine smile when Talia said me though.

The second practice went better, but I was focused on grabbing some race pace knowledge for us, which sadly didn't look good as I was bottom of the time sheets. Interestingly, Alex was further up in the table but still only made it up to P14, so it looked like it was about to be an impressively depressing performance from us once again. However, that night I was at least treated to dinner out with my parents and brothers, in the restaurant of the hotel they were staying in. The conversation flowed as I found out about my brothers' jobs and a potential girlfriend for one of them and then it turned to the race weekend.

"Look, please don't get your hopes up, I'm set to come dead last this weekend, okay?" I say to my mum, begging her with my eyes. She frowned at my attitude but just gave a tight nod. "And you guys," I motioned to my brothers, "need to be chill in the garage. I have two guests this weekend." I smile cheekily at them, as they implore me to fill them in. I opt instead to get my phone out and show them the Instagram post that Olivia posted for me, the photos of Simon, Talia and I messing around. My eldest brother Tyler almost let out a mini scream and Joe almost fainted after seeing the photo. I knew they were both big Sidemen fans, so I needed them to keep their cool and not bother them when they saw them the next day. "I'm giving you a heads-up now so that you can get your shit together, and not embarrass me, okay?" I ask them hopefully and they both nod, immediately whispering things about autographs which makes me want to smack my head.

Eventually, it was just my dad and I left at the table as my brothers went to facetime their girlfriends and my mum went to bed, the travel exhaustion hitting her hard. "So, what's next year's situation looking like?" He asks me as he moves to take the seat next to me.

I shrug, I don't really know what to tell him given that I have nothing confirmed. "There are talks with a couple of teams, but they're all in talks with other drivers, so I'm not really expecting much to be honest. Trying to keep my expectations low." I whisper to him and he nods, a grin taking over his face.

"I'm really proud of you, Elodie. No matter what, you've done a fantastic job to get this far. Never forget that." I smile softly at his words and then sigh.

"Easier said than done, the team giving Alex the upgrades first doesn't make me look too good." I say sadly, "makes me look like the second driver. I don't feel like a second driver," he nods as our eyes meet and I find a lot of comforts I didn't expect to. "I miss you guys," I say truthfully, fiddling with my fingers in my lap.

"Ah we miss you too kid, but you're creating your own wee family out here from what I can tell, and we're only ever one phone call away." I nod at his words, smiling at the end.

"I think JC is getting ready to leave." I slump in my chair as I say this, looking up at my dad in his seat next to me. His eyebrows are halfway up his forehead.