Chapter 19

Thank you so much for all the votes and comments, it does really help me to know that people are enjoying the story!

****

"Elodie!" Daniel greeted me loudly, getting the attention of the table. Filled with some of the other drivers. I think he figured that he would make it out of our interaction if I was distracted by smiling and playing nice with everyone else. Lando, Lewis and...Max looked up at us as we approached.

What a strange table.

"Daniel!" I said copying him, however when I went in to give him a hug, I made sure to step on his foot with one of my heels. He let out a pained gasp and as I stepped back, he looked at me with wide eyes. "Sorry, I should have mentioned I was brining JC and Olivia. I didn't realise you had the same idea." I looked questioningly at the table that was clearly not quite big enough for our group of seven.

"Ah, yeah well, I just mentioned to Lando that I was grabbing a drink with you tonight and he invited himself. Lewis overheard and asked if he could join, and Lando messaged Max." Daniel explained scratching the back of his neck, my mouth opened slightly, and I now felt guilty for stepping on his foot. I shot him an apologetic look which he waved off. "I'm sure we can just pull over another table and a couple more chairs," he added, and I nodded. Lewis and Max both standing up to do just that.

JC and Olivia took the two new seats that were by Lando and Max, while I sat in between Lewis and Daniel. Lewis being sat next to Lando, and Daniel next to Max. JC and Olivia sat awkwardly and then suddenly I switched on. "Sorry, this is Olivia, and this is JC" I said motioning to the blondes respectively, the guys all said hello as a waiter headed over asking what we wanted. Both JC and Olivia ordered a cocktail, while I opted for a glass of red wine. When the waiter left, the guys began engaging JC and Olivia in conversation.

I took the opportunity to lean over to Daniel. "I'm sorry," I whispered, and he smiled and leaned towards me.

"Don't worry, I know how that must have looked." He said, his signature grin taking over his face. "Lando just said he didn't know you that well but wanted to and Lewis said it had been a while. I honestly didn't know Lando had even asked Max to come until I got here." I returned his smile with my own smirk and just nodded, thanking the waiter who placed my wine in front of me. I sat up straight in my seat, and Lewis took the opportunity to turn to me. Mimicking my quiet conversation with Daniel.

"You okay?" I just nodded in response, taking a sip of my wine.

"Had a crap couple of months, frustration and media got to me so I withdrew a bit. Daniel helped me realise earlier that it wasn't a solution." I said, not whispering so that Olivia and JC could hear some of the explanation. I saw them exchange a look with one another and nod, raising their cocktails in my direction, a physical signal that all was forgiven. I smiled and returned the gesture.

"You should have said, you know we got your back." Lewis says to me, also not keeping a low voice, realising I didn't mind.

"Yeah, but you have your own issues." I say, mimicking the porpoising with my hand, which makes both Daniel and Lewis smile. "Plus, when I'm having a crisis of faith in myself, I don't want to go to my future bosses." I swallow quickly, nervously fiddling with the wine glass in front of me. "I was worried I was right, that you were gonna tell me I didn't have what it takes. I know that was stupid, but it's a brutal sport. I'm worried I'm not performing." I say to him, Daniel is leaning forward as he works to stay a part of the conversation. Lewis nods in understanding.

"I get that, but I can promise you that all we hear about you is good things. Not just from Williams," I can see in his face there's something he wants to say because he goes to carry on before his eyes dart around the table. Reminding himself of who else is there. "You're exceeding expectations."