Chapter 3

By the way, I know there is Spain and then Bahrain for pre-season testing but I'm trying to not drag anything out. So in this AU, there's only Bahrain!

*****

The next couple of months passes without too much change to routine. I workout, I eat, I spend time on the simulator, both Williams and Mercedes as I remain one of their reserve drivers and before the season starts, I'm still helping them with testing which means hours on end in the simulator for a car I will be unlikely to ever sit in.

Eventually, I begin to get used to the cameras always being there. While there were some in F2, I got out of a lot of commitments and filming because it always resulted in dating rumours between my teammates and myself which distracted everyone from the race, not least my teammates, many of whom were in relationships. So, the big change is going from doing a lot of solo challenge videos to doing team challenges with Alex, but it's a lot of fun because he is hilarious, and Olivia tells me that the first few videos they have released in the run-up to the season are beginning have gone well. I wouldn't know because we have all agreed that comments are not something I should look at, no matter how strong I am mentally, that is bound to wear me down eventually.

Now we're in Bahrain for pre-season testing. It's my first real opportunity to get in the car, check how it fairs versus how it was in the simulator and a chance to meet the people I will be travelling around the world with, not just in Williams but F1 generally.

I was just finished brushing the knots out of my hair when JC and Olivia waltz into my room. "How are you doing champ?" JC asks as she throws herself onto my bed. I shrug my shoulders because I don't really know. Am I excited? Nervous? Relaxed? I honestly don't know.

"Hair up or down?" I say turning round to them.

"Down," they say in unison, "but with a hat so the wind doesn't get in your face," Olivia asks, handing me my cap. I nod in response and make sure that I look half decent in the mirror. I have opted just to wear the team clothes into the paddock today. It's a lot of press and promo stuff today, no driving, so being comfy and flying under the radar is what I'm hoping for. If I manage to not upset people off track, I'm hoping they will focus on what I do on the track.

"I'm ready then," I say picking up my rucksack and moving towards the door, only faltering when I notice that they aren't following me. When I turn back around, I see JC standing there with a triumphant grin, smirking at Olivia. "What?" I ask trying to figure out what I have forgotten.

"Nothing, I just said you were going to dress in baggy team clothes and Olivia said you would dress to impress. I'm just enjoying being right!" she boasts, but she still isn't moving towards the door. I nod slowly and continue to make my way out of the room, but neither of them is moving. When I check back, I can see them exchanging a look and I think I know what it means.

"Nope, nope, nope!" I repeat desperate to get out of the room before they convince me to change, but I know that there's no way I get out of this room in my current outfit when they look back at me. I sigh, dropping my rucksack on the floor again and walking back over to them, grumbling under my breath. "No skirts or dresses," I say defiantly, as I sit back down and they start rummaging through my wardrobe.

"Of course not!" JC says, shooting Olivia a look who I could tell was about to try and convince me otherwise. "But, you're a driver, you need to own it. Stop hiding my hard work" she says, motioning to my body.

"We're in Bahrain, I can't exactly frolic around in a bikini" I bite back frustrated. "We're going to be late; does it really matter what I'm wearing?" I ask insistently, still trying to get out of the situation I am in, but I know it's unlikely and it wasn't an excuse, I genuinely was worried about being late.