Chapter 34

"Elodie," Fred greeted me as I walked into the room. I smiled and gave him a quick hug and kiss on either cheek before sitting down across the table from him. I noticed a screen in the room with other faces on it and realised that there was also a conference call going on. However, it wasn't just the Alfa Romeo people but also Toto. I smiled and greeted them, seeing the camera that was set up and they waved back, introducing themselves as we settled into the meeting.

As meetings go, it wasn't the worst, but it was hardly the best.

We communicated largely in English as a lot of his team were Italian, however, we switched through the languages at different points as I tried to make my points about pay and the steering wheel clearer, hoping that using their languages might win them round to the idea somewhat. The look of surprise on people's faces when I start speaking another language with ease is one that will never not be enjoyable, and Vasseur's was next level, the normal grumpy cat expression that he wore was momentarily replaced with pleasant surprise as he nodded.

I could see they were closer to agreeing on the wheel at the end of the meeting than they were at the beginning, but it was something that they wanted to consult Valtteri on as he had a long-term contract with them. I nodded and tried to hide the wince, Valtteri was not my biggest fan and I'm not sure how pleased he would be to race alongside me given that I'm often nicknamed the new Lewis and he was clearly enjoying not being in the shadows for once.

After a couple of hours, the meeting ended and I said farewell to the Italian group and Fred, as I stayed in the conference room with Toto. We talked about benign things before agreeing to continue the conversation on my laptop, rather than the setup we had been using before. So, a few minutes later, I had my laptop open in front of me with Toto's face on it as I took the moment to stand up and stretch out after having sat down for the last couple of hours.

"What do you think?" Toto asks as I retake a seat, tilting the screen so it's at the right angle to ignore the sun's glare. I shrug as I lean back, bringing my hand up to my temple as I think over the meeting.

"It has promise..." I say and Toto nods, "I'm a bit worried about Valtteri to be totally honest, he's never been my biggest fan and if he finds out it's me that wants control of the steering wheel I don't see him conceding much." I say as Toto takes some notes, leaning forward.

"I think you might be right, hopefully, Fred is smart enough than to let that slip." I nod as he continues to speak. "Your preference is still AT?" I shrug but nod.

"I don't know how else to get into a top team," I say in frustration, running a hand over my face before letting out a defeated sigh. The weekend behind the wheel of the Mercedes ignited my need to be competitive again, I was very one-track-minded.

"Well, unless Christian is being an arse, which is possible...I think it's still likely they offer you something. I've heard rumours that it's not just Christian and Franz you're meeting tomorrow but Helmut as well." I scrunch my face up in distaste and nod. "You will have to work with all of them so don't be like that." He tells me off as he points at my face.

"I know, I just never know how to act. Do I go cute, or do I be assertive? I can never tell what they respond to. Christian responds to confidence, but Franz and Helmut? I don't know." I explain and the realisation dawns on Toto's face.

"How about both? They're kind of old-fashioned so you might be right." He admits and I shrug.

"Just have to try and feel it out when I'm there, I guess." I shrug and he nods. "Any news on George?" I ask, still keen to know whether I'll have another shot in the Mercedes car this weekend.

"He's feeling better, he did get a negative test today, so as long as he tests negative for the next two days he will be back," Toto informs me, apology written on his face, and I sigh.