Flip A Coin

"Red! Where've ya been?" I squealed in excitement as she climbed down the entrance ladder. I wrapped my arms around her waist and buried my face in her shoulder. "I-uh had some business I had to attend to?" She responded as she carefully patted my back. "Like sciencey plant stuff?" I asked as she pulled away. "Yeah, Harls, plant stuff" she responded with a smirk.

"So what are we doing today, I think we have ta rob a bank before I go broke" I chirped. "Harls, I have everything you need here, you know I wouldn't let you go broke" she responded as she soothingly rubbed my arms. "I know but I want ta earn some of my own money" I said with a smile. She wrapped her arms around me, holding me close, resting her head on mine. With a sigh she asked "Harls, how do you feel about me?"

I looked up at her, my pale blue eyes meeting her green ones. "Well I care about ya, Ives" I said as her brows furrowed. "Do you see yourself caring about me more than you do right now?" She asked me as she gently let go of me. "Ivy isn't it a bit soon to be talking about this stuff ?" I responded as I watched her frustration spread across her face. "I just want this to be over" she whispered as she sat down on the couch.

"You want what we have to be over?" I asked, slightly hurt. "No Harls, I would never want that. I just want all these difficult decisions in my life to be over" she said in a vague response. "Tell me what ya mean, Red" I responded. "I-I never mind" she said as she quickly got up and walked away. I followed her, calling out "Red, please stop".

After a few times of calling out to her she stopped and turned around. I quickly ran towards her, stopping as I held her shoulders. "What happened, Red, please look at me" I whispered as I cupped her cheek with my hand, tilting her head down to look at me. "What was the Joker like?" She asked quietly. I stepped back in shock as flashbacks of all the horrible things he had done came to my mind. Ivy's face dropped as she noticed my powerful reaction to the thought of him.

My fingers nervously ran along the scars he had left on me, flinching at the thought of what he was capable of. "H-He wasn't a very nice man" I said, not wanting to say much more. "What would happen if you didn't do what he asked?" She asked. I sighed as I pushed my back against the wall and slid down it until I felt the cold tiles. Harley, why is she asking us this? I don't trust her, I don't like where this is going. I took a deep breath, gently willing the voice to become quiet as I looked up at Ivy.

She sat down next to me and held my hand as she placed a soft kiss on it. "H-He would try to kill me" I said as the silence became increasingly louder. "How?" Ivy breathed in fear as her grip on my hand tightened. "He would find me and beat me until I begged him to stop. Then he would hold a gun against my head and flip a coin for my death. It never landed on tails but sometimes I wished it would." I said as the tears began to roll down my face.

Ivy looked at me in horror as she realised just how evil Mista J was. She pulled me closer, letting my head rest against her shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Harls, I wish I could have protected you" she whispered as she left a gentle kiss on my head. "Well, you're protectin' me now, Ives" I sobbed as Red wiped away my tears. After a few minutes I moved away and asked "why did you need to know this? Is he tryna hurt you?" "No Harley, everything is ok" she responded.

I nodded as she lay down, putting her head in my lap. I softly ran my fingers through her dark red hair as her eyes closed. "Harley" she whispered. "Yeah?" I asked as her eyes fluttered open. "I will always try my best to protect you from him" she said as her green eyes caught my blue ones. I smiled softly as her eyes closed again. My pale fingers tangled in her soft hair as I continued guiding the strands back. I leant down and planted a soft kiss to her forehead as she slowly drifted off to sleep.

Harley. No. Harley. No! HARLEY. I said no. Let me talk, please. Fine, what is it? You had this feeling before, with Mista J. No this is different, it feels better, stronger even. That's what worries me. You would've died for him, I mean come on Harls, you jumped in acid for that stupid clown. What are you going to do for this girl and her plant stuff. She's more than that. Harley. Just shut up, you don't even know whatcha talkin' about!

Yes, I do. I was there when you treated The Joker in Arkham. I was there when you fell in love with him. I was there when you let him escape. I was there when he tried to kill you. I know what I'm talking about, Harley. No, ya don't. Red is different. She's nothing like him, she keeps me safe. She keeps me happy. What are you saying, Harley? I'm saying I think I might... I looked down at Ivy's peaceful face... be fallin' in love.