Poisoned

"Where are ya taking me" I squealed as I searched through the weapons in the backseat before pulling out a duffel bag containing the things I was taken to Arkham with. "We can settle in my apartment, it's about 5km east from here, then we can figure out the rest from there" she said as her grip tightened on the steering wheel. I turned up the music and rolled down the windows, letting out a laugh for all of Gotham to hear as we escaped Arkham.

Jade parked the car underneath the apartment building and picked up the bags before leading me up a few flights of stairs. She swung her apartment door open and let me in. "Here's home, it's not much, but it does the job" she said as she placed the bags in the middle of the living room. "There's only one bedroom, you can have it for a bit, I'm happy with the couch" she said, passing me my duffel bag. I sat on the couch and looked around at the almost empty apartment. "There's nothin' here" I questioned as I made eye contact with Jade. "I don't really have anything to put around here" she replied.

"Why's that?" I asked as I began searching through my bag. "Bernie!" I squealed as I pulled out my beaver, squeezing him tight. "Because I work a lot" Jade quickly said as she knelt down to look at Bernie. "He says he likes your eyes" I giggled as he told me about the bright green hue. "Thank you" Jade replied with a laugh as she gave Bernie a small pat on the head. "Don't say that, Bernie" I sighed as I placed him on the table. "What did he say?" She asked as she looked up at me. "He said ya look like Mista J" I whispered as I glanced over at the beaver. Jade sighed and stood up as her face paled slightly.

"I'm not feeling gr-" she was cut off as she ran to the bathroom and puked in the toilet. I ran after her, pulling her dark brown hair out of her face. "Are ya pregnant?" I chirped as she threw up again, her paled skin dotted with sweat. "There's no fucking way I'd sleep with a man" she yelled between vomits. "Then what is it?" I asked, my voice slipping into its professional Dr Quinzel tone. "It's the cut, it's burning" she said as she frantically ripped her sleeve off. I gently peeled off the thick layer of bandage, streams of dark blood oozed from the greenish wound. "It looks like an infection" I said as I knelt beside her to take a better look.

"I-It's poison" she stammered as she shakily stood up. She pulled open her cabinet and took out a packet of a green substance. "Ya really think weed's gonna help ya right now?" I questioned as she raced to the kitchen. "No, Harley, it's a herb from Nanda Parbat, it should help me beat the poison" she said as her legs began to shake. "Hold on" I answered as I gently lifted her up and walked towards the couch, placing her on it. "Let me make it" I said as I placed the back of my hand against her forehead. "Mix the packet in water" she forced herself to speak as her eyes closed slowly.

I ran to the kitchen and mixed the herbs in a glass of water. The plant diffused into the water, turning it a dark greenish brown. I sprinted back to the couch, tipped her head back and forced the liquid into her mouth. She groaned from the pain as she drank from the cup. Once she finished the solution she lay back and whispered "I'm going to sleep". "No, stay awake, please Jade, I don't want ya gettin worse" I said as I gently stroked her hair. "I can't" she whispered as her eyes closed.

Worry ran through me as I put pressure on her wound. I waited for the bleeding to stop before cleaning up the dried blood and wrapping her arm in a thick bandage. I then lifted her up again and walked her to the bed, tucking her in under a blanket. Something still didn't feel right, a knot in my stomach formed as I considered the toxins still coursing through her veins.

I knew what I had to do. I would never do this for anyone else, but Jade saved me, she wants to be the person who saves everyone from Mista J. I couldn't let her die, not like this. Her green eyes fluttered as she looked up at me. I pushed the hair out of her face, leaving a small smile on her lips. "Jade, your not gonna make it, unless I get ya a cure" I said in complete sadness. "Where are you going to get a cure?" she asked with concern. "I have to visit Ivy" I replied, a tear rolling down my face at the sight of Jade and the thought of seeing Ivy. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" She questioned as her hand reached up to meet mine. "It'll be alright" I said, placing a gentle kiss to her forehead. "Ok" she sleepily replied as she began to fall asleep.