Chapter 16

I don't know when he saw me or started following me. Maybe it was when I left Ryn's dorm, or maybe the crazy asshole had been following us since the hockey game, but he was behind me now as I was standing on the subway platform and waiting on the train. It was pure luck that I'd seen him, having stepped aside to let a lady with a baby stroller get past me I saw his reflection in a store window. His hockey jacket gave him away, along with the two other guys he was with. I wasn't sure if they were the same two that had held me outside the bathroom while he punched me, but I'd sure they'd serve the same purpose if it came down to it.

               I waited on the platform, trying to not be obvious about getting glances of them, and waited on the next train out of there. Part of me wanted to get off at a different stop than my normal one, but at this point I wasn't completely sure of their intentions. Were they just going to pull me into an alley and make it look like a mugging? Follow me home and trash my place? I really didn't know. If something was going to happen, I wanted it to be closer to home though, so I could recover if anything happened like the last time. But I had no intention of letting them know where I lived.

               But I could slip into one of the restaurants and wait them out. I doubted that they were going to do anything in public, right? They were assholes, but that didn't make them stupid assholes. When the train arrived, I got on and found a seat. It wasn't very full this time of night, and I saw the three hockey players slip in further down the car and grab seats too. A little part of me had hoped that they were going to give this up, but when they got on the train, I knew they wouldn't.

               Pulling out my phone, I pulled up my latest conversation with Ryn, and sent another text.

Me – You don't have Fisher's number, do you?

Ryn – Ha, he wishes! No way I'd ever give him mine.

Me – I figured. He's on my train with a couple of his hockey buddies. Think they're following me.

Ryn – Seriously? Why?

Me – When he beat me last time, he told me if he saw me on campus, he'd make it worse. I guess he saw me there with you today.

Ryn – What can you do?

Me – Don't want him finding my home. Going to duck in and order a pizza and wait them out. He won't do anything in public.

Ryn – You better call me when you're home safe!

Me – I would have anyway. I can't sleep without hearing you say goodnight.

Ryn – That is too sweet! It was a great weekend. I can't wait for many more.

Me – Me too! Have to run, the stop is here.

Ryn – Be safe!

               On the good side, they'd never followed me before, so they had no idea which stop was mine. My first plan was to stay on the train when the doors opened, and then try to dart out at the last moment. If the doors closed while they were still on the train, then they were stuck, and I was free. It wasn't ideal, as they'd probably expect something like that, but it was worth a shot. Or would letting them know I was onto them make things worse? They were all athletes, and I wasn't. Sure, I was pretty quick from my days of avoiding bullies in the past, and had good stamina from a lot of walking, but I knew they'd still catch me since they would have more endurance for sure.

               So, if I just played it normal, and stayed near other people, they wouldn't think I knew they were there, and maybe I could more easily duck into the pizza place.