Chapter 26

The same day I had my doctor's appointment, Iryna and Elske had a hockey game at home against the University of Connecticut. As with every home game, I was there to cheer my girl on. The Fisher issue wasn't gone, but I didn't think he'd have the guts to come after me while the last attack was still so fresh, so going back to the campus to see Ryn play in her game was an easy decision.

UConn was a tough opponent, and it was the first time I'd ever seen Ryn give up two goals. They were putting people in front of the net, and her defenders weren't doing a good job of getting them out of there, so she could never see the puck. She was getting very frustrated, and I could tell by her posture and body language that she was upset. Even though they won it was a close 3-2 win and was tense throughout.

I quickly changed my plan for the night.

The doctor had cut the cast off, but it was a clean cut, and I'd put it on my arm, so it looked like I still had the cast on. I was going to surprise her with that, but now that I could tell she'd be in a bad mood, I thought that might be the wrong kind of surprise. When the game was over, I waved the cast over my head and she skated over to the boards, leaning on the glass with a gigantic smile on her face.

"I'm all better!" I called out to her.

"I was hoping! I'm so glad!" she replied happily. "Let me go get cleaned up and we'll get out of here!"

               The security guards all knew me now, so it was easy to get back into the hallways where the entrance to the locker room was. Our habit now was to just head back to the apartment together with Elske, and then spend the night together. Normally, Ella would have streamed the game so she could call and talk about Elske's plays with her while Ryn and I took care of the food and then ended up snuggling by the fire with a movie. It was a standard that I'd grown to love, and I was happy every time there was a home game. The away games were harder, because then I was like Ella, just streaming the games and catching up with her on the phone till I was able to get her home, usually the next day.

               But I never missed a game.

               Tonight was no different. I stood, alone, in the hallway outside the locker room texting Ella. She was excited to hear from Elske because she'd won the game with the third goal for Boston College, and she was so proud of her. I was always proud of Ryn, it was hard not to be, and couldn't wait to hold her in my arms again, this time without the cast.

               My reverie was broken when Fisher appeared, sauntering down the hall until he stood by my side, looking as though we were just hanging out. I ignored him, as that was what he was worth, and I knew he wouldn't try anything stupid with so many people around.

               "I'm going to kill you for the flash drive shit you pulled," he whispered out of the corner of his mouth.

               "What the fuck are you talking about?" I wondered. Oh, shit, the one he picked up off the ground! "I didn't do anything. In fact, I told you not to take it. It isn't my fault you stole what wasn't yours."

               "Fuck you. That virus cost me a new laptop and two term papers getting turned in late. I know damned well you set me up, and I'll make you pay!" he muttered through gritted teeth.

               "Fisher, you know very well that if anything happens to me you're the prime suspect. It was your own damned fault for trying to steal my shit. Grow up and take responsibility for your mistakes." I said right back to him.

               "Funny. We'll see how long you keep laughing," he warned before walking away.

               I knew he was an ass but blaming me for his own stupidity was taking things to a new level. It didn't change anything for me. I'd just have to make sure I stayed near people when I was here for the games. No problem.