Chapter 32

I didn't sleep well. Considering that I was sleeping between two uncomfortable chairs, that wasn't shocking. I also woke up any time I heard shoes walking anywhere near me in hopes it was someone going in or out of Iryna's room. Twice, it was, and the kind nurse told me that she was looking better, but nothing else. It gave me a little hope though, so I took that to heart.

But around 7:30am, everything changed. Elske, Ella and a middle-aged blonde who had the same blue eyes as Ryn appeared. I had little doubt that it was her mother, and Elske and Ella quickly came over for hugs.

"Did anything change overnight?" Elske asked.

"I don't think so," I told them. "One of the nurses said she was looking better, but she wasn't awake. I assume she meant her vitals and stuff."

The other woman looked at me with a tentative smile and then reached out a hand. "Are you Logan?" Her accent was definitely eastern European, and she looked just like Ryn.

"I am, yes. Are you Mrs. Chajka?" I replied.

"From what Iryna says about you, I think it is safe to say you should just call me Nina," she replied, then pulled me in for a hug when I tried to shake her hand. "Thank you for staying here for her."

"My place is by her side, of course I'd be here." I just wish I could be in the room.

She nodded sagely, tears pooling in her eyes. "You remind me of my husband, which is a good thing. I'm going to try and find the doctor. Hopefully they'll give us some news and let us see my little girl." With a nod, she walked towards the nurse's station at the end of the hall.

"How long can you two stay?" I asked Ella and Elske.

"I can't stay long. We have practice in an hour. I just wanted to help Nina get here." Elske didn't like having to leave but knew that she had to.

"I'm here all day." Ella told me. "But Mom and dad are coming tonight to pick me up so I can go to school for the rest of the week."

"Oh, I should text them and have them bring me a few clothes, I didn't pack anything but my laptop!" I meant to do that the previous night, but it completely slipped my mind.

Ella nudged my shoulder playfully. "Well do it now before the doctors get back or you'll forget again!"

She was right, if doctors let us see Ryn, or she woke up, the last thing I'd be thinking about was clothing. I pulled my phone out, and then sent a quick text to my parents. I still had clothes at their place from the occasional visit, so they could bring me a few pairs of jeans and some tee shirts. Anything else I could find here if I needed them. I had good timing, I had just finished sending the text when Nina came back, chatting with a doctor. She waved at us to follow as he led her to Ryn's room.

I didn't know what to expect when I got in there, but I'd been expecting the worst. Fortunately, she just looked as though she were sleeping, and I could live with that. I moved to the far side of the bed, and knelt next to her, holding her hand in mine. She looked like I could just reach over and wake her up, though I was afraid to try anything like that.

"As you can tell, she's doing quite well. She's breathing on her own now, so we took the breathing tube out, though we do have an oxygen tube to her nose to help," the doctor explained. "Her vitals all improved overnight, so we're hoping to have her wake up sometime today." What did he mean now? Was she not breathing before? Fuck!

"Do you know what caused this?" Nina asked.

               The doctor pulled out a chart, and then read a few things. "The blood tests we did showed that she'd been exposed to a dose of GHB, a drug that falls into the category of a date rape drug. Whoever did this, might have given her too much, or she just had an adverse reaction. There was no alcohol in her system, and there was no sign of assault or anything like that."