The Gates Meet

You stood on the deck in awe and shock, the rock was grand, like a volcano. This prison was probably for the worst criminals in the eyes of the fire nation. The thought made your stomach churn.
Soon enough the boat landed on the edge, and a lift brought Azula, Mai, her uncle, Tai Lee, and you up to the top. As the lift was raised, your stomach dropped more.
If they realized you were really (y/n) would they put you in bars here? Would this be the last glance of the outside world? In a moment you spun watching the last horizon of your freedom.
"Refugee, calm yourself. You are acting as if you were a criminal." Azula joked, but it worried you more.
"My apologies your highness." you stated and bowed lightly.
The group of you walked out of the lift and into the bridge. The guards saluted, but they couldn't help but stare at you and every scar you had. You became self conscious and used the hood of the dress to cover your head. Mai's Uncle noticed your actions.
"Refugee, do not hide your scars, for they tell stories. No one could mess with a bender covered in lightning scars. You are slightly feared, yet respected highly by my men. If you do wish to keep your hood up I understand... but understand the intentions of my men."
The words from him shocked you to your very core. "Thank you sir." you stated as you removed the hood from your face, but left it over your head. The two guards who followed the group visibly refrained from looking at your scars.
Tai Lee looked at you sympathetically, and also stared a bit too long at the cursive left by the lightning. She moved to your side and whispered. "He is right, you look like a bad ass, especially your eye."
A nod came from you, and you responded loud enough for Mai and Azula to hear. "I believe the eye scar is Price Zuko's shtick." One guard made a slight sound of amusement, as the other glared at the back of your head.
Tai Lee snorted a bit, Mai actually smiled, and Azula lightly laughed as well. "Yes, but yours is on the opposite side of your face." Azula then added.
Mai's Uncle noticed your actions and his niece's smile. It surprised him Mai showed such emotion. His focus then turned towards the prison doors.
In an instant they were open, and the group was greeted with the smell of sweat, and the sound of groans. Many were lined up, some were cleaning, others were in their cells. This view wasn't pleasant in the least. Azula was unaffected, as well as Mai, but Tai Lee appeared uncomfortable. You tried your best to hide your disgust, but to no avail, the smell was putrid. The Warden left the group and walked towards the coolers.
"I am going to order an airship for our departure." Azula said and passed the group. Tai Lee stay with the refugee and find out details of the escape that almost happened. Mai, I believe my brother is here... do not kill him, but almost is always okay...."

Mai's eyes soon turned very dark, just by the thought of Zuko. She was going to talk to him about the dam letter he left. In a moment it was only you and Tai Lee.
"Let's go find any suspicious characters in the lot!" she cheered and ran towards the stairs.
Since you were injured you were much slower and paid closer attention to the people around you. There was a short list of people that you knew didn't seem right. A muscular tall tan man, probably a water tribe native, caught your attention. A previous Kyoshi Warrior leader also caught your attention. You shared eye contact but her focus was on your scar. Lastly a guard much smaller and less muscular than even the female guards, with a very distinctive voice that you heard often in some cells. He was not very quiet.
You of course said nothing, reported nothing, and recorded everything.
Suddenly all the prisoners were released despite lock down orders. "The guard..." you said to yourself and ran to the Gandala. There you waited for the people you recorded.
In a moment you saw the crowd along with the man who was charged with escaping, and the Prince. Unwaveringly you stood in their path. "The Warden does not care for me, for I am a refugee in his eyes, but as my duty to the royal family I block your path."
Zuko moved to the front of the group. "You...the water bender... are you aware your duty is to the avatar and descendants of? The royal family is not your tie, my mother and now I am your tie. Mai told me everything."
You froze because you knew the truth in his words, you felt it. The group went around you with ease besides Zuko. He offered a hand "come with us... but not because of loyalty, or duties."
"Zuko come on!!!!!" the twig of a guard yelled.
Without a sound you took his hand and jumped. The guard caught Zuko's hand but your hand slipped from Zuko's grip, and you fell into the boiling water.
Azula and Tai Lee watched this occur.
There was a lump in Tai Lee's throat as she screamed your name, your TRUE name.
Azula's expression changed from neutral to slight shock. "That was... (y/n)?"
Tai Lee nodded as her eyes glazed over with tears.
In a bit of anger they both ran to the lift. Tai Lee ran across the rope as the princess used a guard's cuffs and her blue flames to accelerate toward the rebels.
You were not hurt, since your skin is resistant to boiling water, but you wanted to see how the event would unfold. In a minute you were on shore, the next sitting on the rocky edge of the island where no one noticed you, but if you weren't careful you could get hit.
Mai began to fight the guards that tried to cut the line, and soon sent the rebels off again. Once Azula and Tai Lee made it back to dock Azula tried to attack Mai, but Tai Lee stopped her. The rebellious pair was soon surrounded by guards. Azula ordered for them to be put in prison to rot, but you had other plans. In one movement you knocked all the guards off their feet and froze them to the ground. Azula was still unmoving from Tai Lee's hits and remained on the ground. "My loyalty is to those who care about me" you stated and escaped with the pair.
You set them both on the empty boat and used your water bending to bring them towards the island you were from. You whistled for Kaio and explained the situation to him. He would push the boat for the remainder of the trip, and guarantee the girls' safety.
With a bit of a strain you followed the path of Azula's kidnapped airship.
It stopped at another abanonded air temple. In one quick movement, water propelled you up to the group you once attacked.
"Someone is here!" a young girl yelled loudly as you landed reasonably far.
"I come in peace, as well as... free will."
The banished prince turned around swiftly "(y/n)?!"

Author's comments