Nineteen

𝙒𝙞𝙡𝙝𝙚𝙡𝙢-
I trudged up to the place front door, as I reluctantly stretched up my hand to twist the door knob when I was quickly interrupted by Anders, who did it for me. I was welcomed by an aura of an overwhelming sensation of anxiety and fear to what was about to happen.

I knew why I was here, and what I was going to be unwillingly forced to do. Something that would tear everything I loved apart.

Before I had time to regain my thoughts, I caught sight of Mother, standing expressionless right opposite me. Looking closer, I could almost catch a flicker of shame, and disappointment flashing  across her wrinkled face.
"Good morning Wilhelm, I sure hope you slept well, as we have a lot of work to do."

"Work?"

"Sorting out your marred reputation. What happened won't just go away on it's own."

I had to stop and suppress a wince at Mother's words.

"Mother you don't understand I am marred. Marred about everything happening to me. I didn't ask for any of this, and it's the last thing I want to do. Do you not have even the slightest bit of sympathy for me?"

"Wilhelm please, don't do this. Our reputation will later have a bigger impact on your feelings, it's better to just nip this phase in the bud, before it gets out of control. To the point where you cannot be saved.
I've already explained to you what a respectable and honest person young Maja is, she will be perfectly suited to you. Now, let's not leave her and August waiting any longer."

F*ck 

"August, you never mentioned him".

"Must have slipped my mind. Despite that, I knew how you would react if I mentioned him before our meeting."

***
Mother gestured her head to the main room, where the narrow table would be, and where the future disaster would unfold.

I clenched my teeth, and followed her.

August was already involved in a conversation with Maja, she looked uninterested in whatever he was saying. He stood up and held out his hand for me to shake it.
I shot him a quick glance to confirm that I had heard him, but ignored his gesture. I then proceeded to pull up a chair at the table.

"Maja, August. I'm so glad you could join us! I'm sure Wilhelm appreciates having such a close friend  here on this difficult occasion. I'm sure you'll be able to confide in him.

"He's not my friend."

"Wilhelm! I don't expect such insolence from you. Especially with guests present. Drop the tone it's not necessary."
She turned to the guests.
"I apologise for this whole scandal he's become somewhat rebellious. Yet another one of those teenage phases." She forced a slight smile on her lips, as I noticed Maja return the same expression, then proceeded to turn to me and shoot me a more genuine smile. A smile of actual sympathy and concern.

This was the first moment I had a proper look at her. She'd obviously changed a lot since primary. I only remembered a few memories of her, like catching her playing in the sandpit with Felice and their other friends, arguing about which nursery rhyme would be sung that afternoon.

Maja ran a hand through her dirty blonde hair and her hazel eyes flicked to Mother. She looked rather boyish, despite her long hair, due to her baggy t-shirt and joggers. I assumed this meeting was improper

Mother continued.

"In order to sort this... mistake. We will need to address the public, of course, and somehow prove his innocence. You can already hardly tell that Wilhelm is in the video, so all that is needed is more proof. August came up with the wonderful idea of a girlfriend for you, Wilhelm. It will help to steer the public eye away from that boy and you."

"His name is Simon. And it wasn't a mistake. Leaving the curtains open was."

Wilhelm shot a glare in August's direction.

"Now, now Wilhelm. We are only trying to help you. And in order to do that, you have to promise to never talk to that boy again. Our reputation is of the utmost importance. I won't have people thinking my son is...is-

"Is what?" I added.

Maja began coughing.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty. Could I grab a glass of water?"

"Of course, Maja. I'll get Malin to escort you."

She started out of the room and shot me a smile neither August nor Mother could see. I replied with a confused look but she was already out of the door.

"You already know what I'm going to ask Wilhelm, so please just cooperate. Your family should be the most important thing to you, and your reputation is important to your family. Do as I say, Wilhelm."

"I'll do it, I'll have a fake girlfriend. Whatever. But only if I'm still allowed to secretly see Simon."

"You know I cannot allow that Wilhelm."

"Then, I won't do it. Deal's off." I say as I storm out of the room.

I make my way to the kitchen, I see Maja there with a glass of water in hand. She seems to be laughing,  covering her hand over her mouth in an attempt to muffle the noise.

"What?" I reply, anger coating my words.

"You let her get to you too easily. If I were you, I would have left her have the worst. Honestly, I don't see the situation between you and Simon as that bad. In fact from what I've heard, you too seem good for each other. It's pathetic what August did."

"Oh." I couldn't even hide the shock on my face.

For once, someone in this house was on his side.

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞:
𝐢'𝐦 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠. 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐦𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐳𝐲.
𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐢'𝐝 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤 𝐞𝐫𝐚.
𝐭𝐲𝐬𝐦 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬 🤍