Life goes on

Alex's POV

Well let me take you back to around 5 years ago. I was standing in the middle of my kitchen after coming to separation terms with my husband. We agreed that we no longer fit each other's lives and have become just good friends. He wanted to persue a relationship with someone he liked without cheating on me or hiding a relationship. I appreciate that he came to me the moment he realized it and has decided he will not move forward until we are fully separated. I happen to have agreed with him that our relationship seemed to have fizzled out. We are parting on fantastic terms and leaving this marriage behind as amazing friends.

I currently work in healthcare and after a long discussion with Brad, my soon to be ex, I have signed a year long travel contract and headed off to New York. All of my big items, I am leaving in the shed at what is now just Brad's house until I'm ready for them. I plan on packing tonight as my flight leaves out tomorrow. Brad will courier our divorce papers to me once they are ready for signature and we will move forward with our lives.

The next day, Brad offers to drive me to the airport. He gets out grabbing my bags and luggage pulling them to security check point. He walks through the check point with me and we head toward my gate number. He has chosen to wait the 2 hours before my flight with me, chatting and passing time. When they call for final boarding, he picks up my carry on and gives me both a kiss on the forehead and a tight hug. We smile at each other before I take my bag from him and walk away.

I board the plane, and after storing my bag, I am sitting next to the window, staring out, and let out a sigh ready to see where my new path goes. After a 6 hour flight from Georgia, I step off the plane and catch a cab. The travel contract stated upon arrival head toward the NYC metropolitan hospital and see HR. They provide housing and living costs for the duration of the contract. Once I arrive, the gentleman at the admissions desk directs me in the correct direction and I follow his instructions going up to the 7th floor. Once I step off the elevators, I take an immediate right and walk towards the end of the hallway.

I knock upon the door and it is opened by a petite older lady who introduced herself as Edna. After walking me through paperwork and general information, she provides me with a schedule and informs me I will be with the same provider and nurse every shift. As a medical assistant I can be grateful to this, it eases my anxiety and nervousness.

"Come along with me. Both Zane and Dr. Shaun are working today. Normally we don't coed share rooms, but due to a shortage, Zane was okay with you joining him in his apartment. Are you okay with this?" Edna asks as she is handing me a full purple bag.

"Yes, that's fine. I will be working with him and it will be easier to adjust if I get to know him and be in a position to ask questions." I reply

She nods her head and gestures for me to follow her. We walk back down the hallway and take the elevator to floor 4. The floor is for End of life/Hospice patients, something I have grown to enjoy over the last 2 years at home. The job it's self is very difficult but so worth it.

"Dr. Shaun and Zane, this is Alexis Zimmer. She goes by Alex, she is your new MA that starts in 2 days. Zane, your still okay with a new roommate correct?" Edna asks

"Absolutely, we are gonna get along like two peas in a pod. Hello darlin, I'm Zane. Please feel free to ask questions or come to me if you need help with anything at all."

"Thank you, I'm kinda nervous if I'm honest." I say

"Don't worry about it too much, Zane and I have developed a well oiled machine between the two of us and we will get you sucked in and working too. Please know, I'm not like most doc's, I have a pretty chill, laid back personality." Dr. Shaun says.